Civic 1.6 si to crx dohc

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

'89civicSI

I have a `89 civic 1.6 16v D16A6. This engine is replaced wiht a d16a9 from a ´89 crx. I used my own SI wiring on the d16a9. There are some difrences. The d16a9 has a sensor less on the pgmfi intake. The crx engine doesnt have a catalatic conferter and therefor also no sensor on the outtake. Also is there some diffrence in the vacuum hoses.
I have rewired the cam angle sensor. The car runs fine but at stationaire drive the rpm is between 900 and 1500 and goes up and down. So my question do i have to do some more rewirring or must i find the problem somewere else

Dude don't be so quick to call someone a mother fucker, I am getting sick of everyone looking for an excuse to use that emoticon. Be helpful what is the point of posting if you are just going to say that leave it alone, or as the person to clarify something.
Now to answer the question:
Are you throwing any codes? Check your PCV valve, and you intake manifold sensors. I have a slightly irractic idle on my 89 Civic DX ever since I did a MPFI swap. As far as I know you should not have any left over sensors in the swap. Also The D16a9 and the D16a6 both came on cars that had cat. converters. Double check your Vaccum lines and your wiring, you might be missing something.
Good Luck

The d16a9 dint had a cat. converters i am certain of that. Its an european car. And yes the d16a9 has a sensor less on the pgmfi. After reseting the ecu the rpm is not good. Before resetting the ecu it ran fine but now...

the sensor left over is probably the fast idle control solenoid which was on back of the intake manifold on the Si and is not used on the A9 - the only wiring changes you needed to make were the 2 wires to the cylinder position sensor on the end of the exhaust camshaft - if you are not getting a check engine light for the oxygen sensor, don't worry about it (are you using the Si ECU?) - the vacuum line routing for the A9 should be the same as the Si - fluctuating idle can be from several things, vacuum leak, malfunctioning EACV, low coolant level or bad coolant temperature sensor are the likely causes.

vacuum_dohc.JPG
vacuum_sohc.JPG

Her are the vacuum line pics of my old engine and the new one. You can see that the d16a6 has an canister that the d16a9 doesnt have. After cheking everything mij ecu gives the faulty codes 11 and 17. Also my cooling fan doesnt work anymore. I used my new dohc ecu.

These pictures are from this site where other manuals can be found.

http://www.icelord.net/honda/repair/

you could just get rid of the purge cannister and connect it like the A9 diagram - the purge cannister is just a receptacle for fuel vapors to keep them from escaping into the atmosphere - doesn't affect how the engine runs and doesn't cause CEL codes - one of the lines to the cannister is a vent from the fuel tank - you could also swap the throttle body from the A6 onto the A9 and then connect it like the A6 - from looking at the diagrams, it appears that the only difference is the large (usually red) cloth braided covered line from the top center of the throttle body to the cannister - don't know what code 11 is? - code 17 is the VSS or vehicle speed sensor which is on the gauge cluster where the speedometer cable connects - does your speedometer work? cooling fan is controlled by temp sensor in the back of the block next to the oil filter - is this hooked up?

Back