Civic 95coup Ex Swap / Engine Suggestion

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

seriot

HI,

My first post w00t :), I have an automatic 1995 civic coup. EX v-tec sohc. I don't know much about it but I think its around 120hp and 7500redline. I want to convert it to manual and also swap the engine for something in the 8500redline and about 200hp. I was wondering what would be an easy swap and the neccessary items to purchase for the automatic-manual. Also a ballpark price range. Also should I swap engine before doing the automatic-manual or vice-reversa or sametime?

From research I think a b16b is about 190hp and is a easy swap. I never done this before just want to verify. Also a list of supplier would be great I am having a very hard time finding a place to sell me a b16b engine. Not sure im looking correctly but I just type b16 engines in msn.com. Also for the auto - manual I think all i need is a pedal assembly, a
clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder, clutch cable. Any feedback would be great.

-seriot

Here are a few options:

B18c5 -> 195 hp @ 8000 130 torque @ 7500

B18c1 (JDM) -> 178hp @ 7600 129tq @6200

These are both strong swaps the Type R basically fits your discription a 200 hp high revving motor. But i depends if you can handle the price tag. The gsr is a great motor if you don't have the money to throw out for the Type R.
As for your auto to manual conversion search for it I have seen that thread a few times.

Good Luck

Why would you want to get rid of that sweet D series? (no kidding) :blink: It's the cheapest and easiest to turbocharge. It would be much faster turbo'd than swapped. An auto to manual swap might be a good idea though, although I'm of the opinion that autos and turbos are the best combo.

A B16 has 160 HP. A B18c has 170. As for an auto to manual conversion you are really better off just selling your auto and buying a manual. 5 speeds are cheaper anyway. Turbo charging your auto is not a bad idea tho. The Greddy kit can be had for @ $1500. You will see better WHP numbers from a turbo with an intercooler than a B16 swap. The D series can be a potent engine if built and tuned properly. Plus you get to tell the twincam you just smoked that it's a D16. B) I think that for less than the amount of money a swap/conversion would cost, you could slap in a cam/pistons and boost. You'll have one fast automatic single-cam.

Hmm thats sounds pretty good. I think I will turbo charge it and tune it up a bit. Ty for the replies :) but on the automatic vs manual whats the difference. From what I hear automatic turbo is faster boost in the begining but in a mile race would it be better to have a manual tranny. And lastly is a car really not the same after a conversion? I think i read somewhere some1 said its never the same as a tru 5speed manual stock car.

When you lift off the throttle on a turbo car the turbo loses momentum. Automatic cars shift with the throttle closed, keeping the turbo in boost mode. The manuals have a very short first gear which helps them launch. Either way, I'd say the turbo auto is the better combo, plus you already own the stuff minus turbo kit. There's nothing cheaper than the stuff you already own! ;)

how bout the fact that honda automatic trannys are weak as fuck and cant stand up to the stress of the HP that a turbo creates

The transmission can be addressed later. Don't you guys want this kid to be fast first and reliable second?

Any ways, Level 10 should be able to build a tranny that would work fantastic if he should need it if the tranny ends up being :ghey: .

Originally posted by hondaguy72@Jun 11 2003, 10:12 AM
Don't you guys want this kid to be fast first and reliable second?

what????? :huh:

shit if we thought that way we would all be driving DSMs.... what good is being fast if its broken all the time

What are u guys talking about the turbo losing less momentum with the throttle closed? If you close the throttle, the exhuast pressure will stop, and the turbine will slow down. If your using a clutch, you could 1) close the throttle when u shift (which ur saying is better), or 2) keep the throttle slightly open, and keep the turbine spinning, thus keeping the boost up. The only time your really gonna have to worry about the turbo lag, is when the car is dead stopped. With a manual, you can get the motor moving faster before the start, and get the turbo spooled, so that off the line you have boost. Also, you put a wastegate on the turbo, then when the throttle is off, the pressure is released, so the turbo can spin freely with out pressure. So im thinking I would much rather get a manual. And either way my 1.8t 337 GTI could blow away half the rice rockets with their 1.75" piping, and a 3" tips, sounds real hot! Gotta love the lawn mower whine. Sorry, I'm not dissing you guys that know what your doing to your cars, its just the guys that put a tip on their car and think they are the god of the road taht piss me off..
Joe

Originally posted by itsallaboutthevw@Jun 11 2003, 01:39 PM
And either way my 1.8t 337 GTI could blow away half the rice rockets with their 1.75" piping, and a 3" tips, sounds real hot!

:huh: I don't think a great way to start out HS is to start grouping honda owners in with the "rice" crowd - it's not like VW owners are free from putting lame ass lights, wings, fart cans and such on their cars. At least we don't drive girl's cars. (MOST of us anyways :p ) Those were some good thoughts on the turbo and I respect your opinion, but for having such an attitude in your first post, why don't you take your opinion and shove it up your beaver-box driving ass. Thanx and welcome to HONDA-Swap! :D

Originally posted by itsallaboutthevw Posted on Jun 11 2003+ 07:39 PM -->
itsallaboutthevw Posted on Jun 11 2003 @ 07:39 PM ) said:
you can get the motor moving faster before the start, and get the turbo spooled, so that off the line you have boost.
And unless properly addressed, an ass load of wheel spin.

sohcslammer Posted on Jun 11 2003
@ 08:45 PM
- it's not like VW owners are free from putting lame ass lights, wings, fart cans and such on their cars.

Damn straight they aren't.

Ya guys sorry about that post... I will admit there are some very nice hondas and other jap cars. taht last post was messed up, and i just want to apologize. It just seems to me that everyone and there dog has a half assed job done on there hondas. But considering u guys are talking about swapping an auto with a manual tranny, and turbo charging these motors, u guys dont seem to be the half assed type. So I hope u guys can accept my apology. And ya its true people can do the same stuff to a vw, i know a guy that has a mark 3 jetta, with a POS body kit and a horribly done exhuast system, and he thinks its the hottest thing in the world.

But on to what i was talking about earlier... The wheel spin issue, you just need to know how to work a clutch, some of the fast starts ive ever gotten have involved getting the wheels spinning a little then they grab and u fly. I just really think u have a better chance of controlling ur turbo with a manual over an auto, and i think you would run better times with a manual. Top Fuel dragsters use manuals, the clutches actually never engage 100%. SO this is why im thinking stick with the manual...

Oh also... im incredibly interested in the v-tec motors... i realize its the varible timing, but is it also variable cams? thanks alot and sorry about my post earlier

Originally posted by itsallaboutthevw@Jun 11 2003, 11:12 PM
Ya guys sorry about that post... I will admit there are some very nice hondas and other jap cars. taht last post was messed up, and i just want to apologize. It just seems to me that everyone and there dog has a half assed job done on there hondas. But considering u guys are talking about swapping an auto with a manual tranny, and turbo charging these motors, u guys dont seem to be the half assed type. So I hope u guys can accept my apology. And ya its true people can do the same stuff to a vw, i know a guy that has a mark 3 jetta, with a POS body kit and a horribly done exhuast system, and he thinks its the hottest thing in the world.

But on to what i was talking about earlier... The wheel spin issue, you just need to know how to work a clutch, some of the fast starts ive ever gotten have involved getting the wheels spinning a little then they grab and u fly. I just really think u have a better chance of controlling ur turbo with a manual over an auto, and i think you would run better times with a manual. Top Fuel dragsters use manuals, the clutches actually never engage 100%. SO this is why im thinking stick with the manual...

Oh also... im incredibly interested in the v-tec motors... i realize its the varible timing, but is it also variable cams? thanks alot and sorry about my post earlier

Dont worry about it guy, just realize that most of the people who post on this website are the anti-rice... :lol:
VTEC is basically a pre-determened spot at which oil pressure shifts the cam lobes to use the higher revs more efficentlly. More or less. It's a little more involved than that, but you get the idea.
Sorry to be mean before but my friend's GF has a 1.8L T VW that they think is the shit. I just can't stand VW owners that think their car is the shit because it's german and all Honda's suck because they aren't. So, my point is - sorry I was just :rant:

Anyone have any info on greddy's turbo setup? Like how much horsepower it would produce?

greddy's 1.5k kit really isn't all that impressive, because it doesn't come intercooled (I don't thnik). What you wanna do is pick up the kit, then buy some custom piping and a nice intercooler. Then you'll be rocking.

Originally posted by liquid00meth@Jun 12 2003, 04:41 PM
greddy's 1.5k kit really isn't all that impressive, because it doesn't come intercooled (I don't thnik). What you wanna do is pick up the kit, then buy some custom piping and a nice intercooler. Then you'll be rocking.

:ditto: :thumbsup:
Check out last month's (or the month before, I can't remember) issue of sport compact car. They review like every turbo for tons of cars.. listing hp, parts used, price, reliability, ease of install, ect... Check out the turbonetics kit for your car I think. It comes with a spearco intercooler and puts down 225 whp at 8 psi I think. I need to read it again. @ $3900

I think revhard makes a really nice turbo for the d series. Just a thought.

Originally posted by hondaguy72@Jun 11 2003, 07:12 AM
Any ways, Level 10 should be able to build a tranny that would work fantastic if he should need it if the tranny ends up being :ghey: .

I wouldn't trust Level10 with anything that I wanted to install on my car. I have seen too many complaints, mostly from Supra owners, to reccomend that company.
The transmission can be addressed later. Don't you guys want this kid to be fast first and reliable second?

That has got to be the dumbest thing I have seen posted in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back