Civic 98 Ex

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Swilly

Ok... so I have a 98 Ex and I want to do a engine swap. Well I'm not a total moron when it comes to cars and stuff, but I have no idea when It comes to engine swaps. So anyways This Civic of mine is a 98 Ex, 5-speed manual transmision. I'm looking for a nice engine that can possibly get me to like 170+ hp with just the engine. I'm willing to spend like at max like 8000 for it parts and labor. Can i get any suggestions on what type of engine to get and how much hp it will give me, and a aproximate cost.

B18C1 GSR motor ($3800 installed) will get you that at the flywheel,it will takes a H22 (approx.$4000 -$4500 installed) to put it to the wheels.Or you can go for a frankenstein (can reach cost of $3000 - $10,000+ installed) and if built right can do the same.

Which one would be my best choice and where would i get these engines. and would they be new or used?

B18C1 - 178 HP (Dont know from which country this from)
B18C5 - 190-195HP USA version and 195- 220 HP JDM (Japan verion)
H22a - is not a good swap (I mean for money cuz it have the same HP as B18C5) but its harder to SWAP.

So its the best two choses that you have. But B18C1 can be OBD1 and OBD2. IF you have Civic 96-00 you will probably want OBD2.

The difference in OBD1 and OBD2 is the harnesses.
OBD1 uses OBD1 engine and OBD1 CPU (CPU is computer in your car) they were used in 92-95 engines.
OBD2 uses OBD2 engine and OBD2 CPU they are used from 96 to now.

For realy you can swap OBD1 engine in OBD2 but you will have to buy harnesses and some other wires, I dont know why do you even need OBD1 engines if you will do swap you will probably buy 96-00 engine cuz it will have the lowest milege.
And you can do the other way from OBD2 to OBD1 but its really hard and I am sure you dont want to do this.

So thats pretty much it.

Back