1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Civic Dies At A Stop

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by randerson165, Jan 16, 2003.

1. randerson165

randerson165 Senior Member

My buddy has a 99 civic with sohc engine. he has aem intake, fuel regulator, dc header, dc exhaust, my question is, when his car comes to a stop, it will sometimes die, if you push the clutch in prior to stopping it will die, but if you downshift and ride it out to a complete stop it will sometimes idle ok and not die. what could be the problem ?

2. Havok

Havok Senior Member

Is it just completly dieing, or will the revs drop, lights dim, etc? Sound like it's not getting enough fuel, are the intake and fpr installed correctly? I had my aem short ram fucked up, when I put on my full one I actually followed the directions--my car used to die as well at stop lights, signs, etc.

3. SolReaver

SolReaver Senior Member

check for proper fuel pressure

4. randerson165

The revs drop and it dies. It is an aem full length intake. It was installed by a shop. What should the fuel pressure be set at ?

5. sportlinecrx

sportlinecrx Banned

have you tried adjusting the idle speed? just in case you haven't.

6. randerson165

Where can I adjust the idle speed, and what should the fuel pressure be set at, I think it is at 15 right now.

7. exhacker

exhacker Member

i would try resetting the ECU, too. take the fuse out and disconnect the battery for a time. not sure the exact process, sorry. also, yeah, check the idle speed & fuel pressure. is your butterfly valve well lubed and adjusted? is your intake manifold nasty & dirty? try totally cleaning out the intake manifold & butterfly valve, with the car kinda tilted on a hill so the cleaner goo runs out, instead of in, the intake. then, do a total re-adjustment of your throttle cable. If it's a swap, you may not have the right cable(?).

can you tell if the clutch is totally disengaging? after my swap, the clutch started having problems. I think if I had let it go any longer, I probably would have had the same symptoms. My clutch was not disengaging properly... to the point where I would be all the way to a stop, and the engine would bog, meanwhile not letting me shift out of gear. Once the engine died, however, I could shift into 1st, and starting the car let me notice a jerk on the drivetrain and a ½" drop in the clutch pedal, as the engine turning over was forcing the clutch to disengage. I'll try to think of what else it might be.....

-x

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted