Civic Distributor

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DwnShftPrincess

I got a 96 civic ex. It started to jump RPM about two months ago. I mean it started to jump from 5300rpm to 1000rpm and vice versa while in gear. It usually happened in 2nd-4th gear. The car wouldn't crank the past 3 days. I thought it was due to the cold. My boyfriend started to tap on the distributor with a wrench while I cranked it and that worked. He said while I was cranking it he could here the inside of the distributor click when it turned over. Could this just be a bad rotor button (which has never been replaced) or do I need a new distributor assembly?

it jumped when shifting?
or you could hear the engine cut out?
or just the tach was jumping?

and the engine wouldn't crank or wouldn;t start?

and a rotor button? uhm.... rightttttt

could need a new cap and rotor, and wires and plugs while you;re at it, but if thats doesn;t fix it then prob time for a new distributor... honda dist's tend to dump out on you...

edit: after reading through your posts, i must say
When I passed back by 20 min later he was still under the hood. Amateur.

i find this statement extremely ironic and amusing

It jumps while i'm shifting or already in gear. The car starts to jerk and it the rpm hand jumps around. Accelerating or slowing down or shifting doesn't make it go away. It usually stops 3-10 seconds later. The worst was when I slowed down to make a turn and the car shut off. That happened a month ago. I bought new wires and plugs that day. And no, the engine wouldn't crank. I don't know exactly what you mean by "and a rotor button? uhm.... rightttttt". Also, what do you find ironic about my statement?

well?
sounds like you have a bad rotor and cap replace both of them
are you throwing any codes

Back