Civic engine swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Penguine

Hello to all I own a 91 Civic Hatchback with a 1.5 ltr. and would like to swap a 92 Civic 1.5 ltr. into it should I anticipate any problems?

You'll have OBD issues to deal with, so most likely you'll need an ecu,injectors,distributor. that's all I can think of right now.

is this a stock motor for a stock motor?
if so take all sensors etc off of your motor and put them on the new motor...
no issues...
if your car has DPFI and the new car has MPFI then you should also swap the intake manifold if you aren't concerned with horsepower etc...

if you are doing this swap for performance let me know and we can work with that...

The engine from the 92 comes with the injectors as well as dist. so hopefully this will make my life easier.

If it is possible I would like to use the fuel injection off the newer engine but was wondering if it would be costly and if it is worth doing? Sorry if these questions seem dumb but am new to this so I don't understand some of the terms used like for example OBD no idea.

first off, need to know model of the 91 - is it CX with D15B1 engine or DX with d15B2 engine? how about the model of the 92? is it a DX with D15B7 engine, CX with D15B8 engine or VX with D15Z1 engine? makes a difference on what all you need to do

you will need to decide whether you want to change the engine over to OBD0 to match the 91 car or change the car over to OBD1 to match the 92 engine - OBD means On Board Diagnostics, controlled by the ECU (Electronic Control Unit or computer)

there are a couple of things you will need to do in either case - you will need to remove the engine harness from your 91 engine and install it onto the 92 - harnesses are not interchangeable - the 91 has Dual Point Fuel Injection (DPFI with 2 injectors) - if you want to run the Multi Point Fuel Injection (MPFI with 4 injectors) from the 92, you will need to do the DPFI to MPFI wiring changes to the 91 harness, which consists of adding wires for the 2 additional fuel injectors, adding wires for the Cylinder sensor in the distributor and swapping the fuel injector connectors from the 92 harness onto the 91 harness (you won't need injector resistor box) - if the 92 engine is the D15Z1, you will also need to add wiring for the VTEC - you will need to remove the engine mount on the driver's side end of the 92 and remove the mount from your 91 block and install it onto the 92 block - the OBD1 92 engine has the cooling fan switch on the thermostat housing - your 91 has the cooling fan switch on the back of the block - you will need to remove the connector for the switch from the 92 engine harness and install it on the 91 harness - this will require extending the wires so that the will reach the thermostat housing - depending on the engine type, the 92 may have the MAP sensor on top of the throttle body or it may have it on the firewall - the D15B7 and D15Z1 have it on the throttle body - the D15B8 has it on the firewall like it is on the 91 - if the 92 engine has the MAP on the throttle body, you will need to extend the wires on the MAP connector that is at the firewall on the 91 and plug it into the one on the throttle body - depending on the models of the engines, you may have a little exhaust work to do

in addition to the above, in order to run the engine as OBD0 with the MPFI, you will need a 88-91 CRX/Civic Si PM6 OBD0 ECU - you will need a distributor from 88-91 CRX Si/HF or from 88-91 Civic Si or from 90-91 Civic EX

in addition to the above, in order to run the engine as OBD1, you need to purchase a OBD0 to OBD1 ECU jumper harness from someone like Rywire - you need OBD1 ECU that matches the 92 engine - you will need to swap the distributor connectors from the 92 harness onto the 91 harness or get a OBD0 to OBD1 distributor jumper - you will need to add wiring for the 4-wire O2 sensor

depending on the engine models, you will need to work out the vacuum line routing

Last edited:
The 91 is a CX with a D15B1 and the 92 is a DX is a D15B7 what if I just swap over the harness and injection system from the 91 to the 92.

The 91 is a CX with a D15B1 and the 92 is a DX is a D15B7 what if I just swap over the harness and injection system from the 91 to the 92.
you can do that and that would be the easiset - still need to change mount and extend cooling fan wires

you also need to swap exhaust manifolds, since your CX uses the close coupled cat

i need that ecu and need help wit my d15b7 to z1 swap in a 90 hatch asap call 919 400 2747 wit any pointers 24/7/ need my car runnin

Back