civic has trouble starting in record heat

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Shauna

First, I'm not sure if this has been covered before, but I've completed numerous searches and haven't found it yet, so sorry if it is already out there. The problem is this: For the past 4 years during the hottest summer months my 90 Civic has difficulty starting. I have to crank it numerous times and eventually it will catch. I generally pump the gas pedal 3 times and it turns over (on the advice of a chemical engineer I met in a parking lot), but with the record heat it is taking a long time. The mechanics (at the shop I have gone to for 6 years) have suggested it could be the fuel pump but need me to leave it with them and have it "act up" before they can tell what the problem is. A friend of a friend suggested it might be the carburetor (heat shield not in place or something like that). The car has 107,000 miles and has always run well. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

I know the old accords have alot of problems with the soldering joints in the main relays going bad. Maybe thats your problem. dont quote me though, its just a thought to consider.

i dont think it wouldbe the carberateur because civics are fuel injested and also you dont dont need to be pumping the gas padel because that is what fuel injection is for. i would first check your spark plugs and wires for oil leaks cracks and so on. also maybe check if your fuel injectors are clean and getting the right amount of power to them.

Thank You All

Yep, it was the main fuel relay. I took in copies of your replys with the other posting from dacheat to the shop, and they were able to figure it out. A new relay will be installed in the morning. Thank you!

Back