1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Civic hydro-lock problems!!!

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by warhawk514, May 19, 2005.

1. warhawk514

warhawk514 Junior Member

I own an '02 Civic with just over 50k miles, and my engine started tapping the other day. When i took it to the honda dealership where it has been serviced since i bought it (BRAND NEW w/ 32 miles) they scratched their heads and said that it was a bent crank rod and that my motor was gone, of course they then proceeded to say that i was out of warranty and that my injen race division cai was the cause of the problem anyway. Honda says the intake sucked in water, which then leaked into the cylinder( which of course doesn't compress water)and bent a rod... also known as HYDRO-LOCK. The odd thing is, my local honda dealership has had 13 hydro-lock cases in April alone, half of which were STOCK, NON-MODIFIED INTAKE SYSTEMS. Does anybody else find this odd? On top of all this, they attributed it to the fact that we have had extensive amounts of rainfall since April 1st (even on the stock intakes)! So what are we sayin' guys... YOU CAN'T DRIVE A HONDA IN THE RAIN? Well if you ask Pensacola Honda and their regional manager that seems to be the consensus. Either way - 13 honda engines locally all with hydro-locked motors in one month... i'll take my chances in court. Does anybody have any info that could help me out, or maybe know of any hydro-lock problems recently that could help me out?

2. Citizen_Insane

Citizen_Insane Senior Member

Hydrolock is a risk you run when you put in a CAI. You have no case whatsoever because you modified your car. Sorry, but it looks like its time for a swap.

3. warhawk514

warhawk514 Junior Member

Go to this link:http://www.aempower.com/faq.asp?fid=23&sid=&tid=3
    read up on the warranty issue, i thought the same as you, but in actuality if no internal modification has been made then i still have warranty rights.

4. B16CRX

B16CRX Senior Member

5. racintweek

racintweek Senior Member

sorry but you arent going to win this one

reading comp > joo

"No it will not. The only time this can happen is if the system was installed improperly and caused damage to the vehicle. If a service technician denies your warranty claim based on the fact that the car has been modified and the failure was not a direct result of the installation and use of an AEM product please refer him to the SEMA web site for a review of the Magnusson Moss warranty act."

taken from AEM Site

a CAI can easily be decided as causing the problem, you stick an intake a few inches from the ground, it sucked up water when it rained hard and now you need a new engine because od hydro-lock. sounds like a direct result to me

6. HatchSpeeD

HatchSpeeD ...Hi...

Did you have a bypass valve?

7. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

replace the rod and get a snorkel.. :shrug:

8. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

This is an article written on an NSX board, but it has general info on Hondas stance about aftermarket modification that applies to you....

9. xj0hnx

And this from Honda themselves....

So no, Honda doesn't have to fix you car.

http://automobiles.honda.com/info/mobility...erDetected=True

Since you modified your intake, whether there is a manufactuer defect in the OEM intake or not, they are no longer liable for your particular vehicles failure since it is no longer original equipment.

10. 96CIVICLS

96CIVICLS Senior Member

Did you tell them you had this intake on there or did you show them you had it on there???? i would have changed it to stock intake then taken it to them to fix they would have given you a new motor out of it but now your screwed. good luck man

ya boy steveo

11. xj0hnx

12. warhawk514

warhawk514 Junior Member

I am not arguing the fact that i did put a cai on my engine and that warranty items relating to it are void, i am simply arguing the fact that my engine did not hydro-lock as they said it did, and that they are merely "passing the buck" and putting the blame on the one and only engine modification i have made to keep from having to replace the engine. Does anybody know exactly how hard it is to hydro-lock an engine? ITS NOT THAT EASY! So isn't it possible that honda is telling these people that their engine's are hydro-locking so that they aren't responsible... I am obviously just the first person to take apart a "hydro-locked" honda and find NO WATER! thats my defense, i am well aware that my warranty on anything relating to the intake system is void, but the problem can't be hydro-lock without water, and if its not hydro-lock then my intake was not the result!

13. xj0hnx

Ok guy, if you took the engine apart, and found no water, why didn't you mention that insanely important fact in the beginning of the thread?

14. warhawk514

warhawk514 Junior Member

i was originally just asking for feedback on my question, but after people started analyzing what i already knew, it became important... my bad.

15. B16CRX

B16CRX Senior Member

heat makes water evaporate.

16. hcivic.com

hcivic.com Senior Member

Ok i have hydrod a couple motors now.
    When your driving its going great then its not motor just craps out and usally i have found water in the cylinder and others. just change the rod and bearing and check the crank and you should be ok

17. stoneez

stoneez New Member

I am currently going through the same issue with an 02 celica that I put an AEM intake on. If you have comprehensive insurance on yer car, they should cover the repair costs. Mine picke up the repair and toyota is rebuilding the motor right now. Its worth the phone call. Good luck.

18. 95b16coupe

95b16coupe New Member

cool, next time check the thread date. the thread is 3 years old.

19. SneakyTouchYourPlace

SneakyTouchYourPlace New Member

This is why a lot of forum moderators stuff a sock in their mouth and remove the search feature, or archive and lock 1 year old threads.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted