Civic ITR Conversion

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

H-Ridah

I own a ’95 EG hatch and I’ve been looking into swapping a new engine into my civic automatic. So my project isn’t just an engine change but also a transmission change.
I’ve gone back and forth with different options and changed my mind several times.
At first I was going for a B16A2 which I already made a down payment on. I was going to swap the B16 in and then go turbo. I later changed my mind and wanted to go with a K-series. I looked towards the RSX Type-S K series engine. I realized that it would involve removing my A/C so I never minded that. I think I have finally made up my mind. I want to go with one huge swap and stay naturally aspirated. I don’t want to go turbo anymore so this swap would give me loads of power and with my light weight DX I would pretty much fly..Lol. So I want to go for the B18C5 swap.

I’m writing this because I’m not completely sure about what it is that I need exactly for this swap. Since this one is a bit harder than the B16 because the ITR engine is obd2.
So according to me this is what I’ll need but I want to know if I’m missing anything:
1. ITR front clip (this will include everything including a full dash with gauges) → http://www.passwordjdm.com/product.asp?numRecordPosition=13&P_ID=1616&strPageHistory=&strKeywords=&SearchFor=&PT_ID=380
This is just a example front clip. I am planning on purchasing one just like it from a local shop.
2. ITR OEM or aftermarket vortech fuel pump
3. Front and rear ITR OEM brakes
4. ITR OEM suspension (Rear is not included in the front clip)
5. A obd1 to obd2 converter from: http://www.boomslang.us/obd1to2.htm
I’m not sure whether the B18C5 is a OBD2A or a OBD2B engine.
So I would appreciate some help on that.

So I want to know if the ITR swap is a good idea and if I’m missing any parts.
And if I am that anyone could recommend a place where I can get these parts online. For example the rear brakes off the jdm ITR.
I would also really really appreciate some reaction from someone that has already done this swap. That would be really cool too.

1, you don't need a full clip. just a full "conversion" including axels, etc.
2, your stock pump is fine for a stock itr motor
3, you need the whole shebang-- 5-luc wheels, the upper and trailing arms, integra e-brake cables, etc...
5, don't bother...
just get a p28 ecu socketed with an ITR program on it (very easy to make).
itr's are both 2a and 2b, depending on the year. i'm 99% sure the 00 and 01's are 2b.

its a good motor, no doubt.

the swap isn't too hard. the tranny swap will be the hardest thing (don't forget you need the pedal assembly, the clutch master, and all hydro lines, along with the interior pieces to make the car fit the shifter properly.)

just use your stock wiring harness, and run the vtec wires, cutting the plugs off the donor car and soldering onto your stock harness for the distributor, injectors, and alternator. (or swap for obd1 parts from a 94-95 integra gsr)

1, you don't need a full clip. just a full "conversion" including axels, etc.
2, your stock pump is fine for a stock itr motor
3, you need the whole shebang-- 5-luc wheels, the upper and trailing arms, integra e-brake cables, etc...
5, don't bother...
just get a p28 ecu socketed with an ITR program on it (very easy to make).
itr's are both 2a and 2b, depending on the year. i'm 99% sure the 00 and 01's are 2b.

its a good motor, no doubt.

the swap isn't too hard. the tranny swap will be the hardest thing (don't forget you need the pedal assembly, the clutch master, and all hydro lines, along with the interior pieces to make the car fit the shifter properly.)

just use your stock wiring harness, and run the vtec wires, cutting the plugs off the donor car and soldering onto your stock harness for the distributor, injectors, and alternator. (or swap for obd1 parts from a 94-95 integra gsr)

I'll add that last 1%. 96-99 integras are 2a, 00+ are 2b.

Thanks allot man! You we're very helpfull.
So i just get the ECU programmed to accept the engine?
And I think it would be easier to just get the whole clip cause they're very cheap compared to the states. Ik can get a ITR full front clip for like 8000 guilders. That's like $4500. And that includes shipping to my door. Most clips i saw online for the states are like $5000 and to get them here it's gonna run me about $6000 (in total)
Plus I can sell parts I don't need. ITR parts are pretty rare here and the civic culture is pretty big here so lotta guys wanna put that in their civics.

Last edited:
To do the swap and for the chassis to handle the type r engine smoothly, I have planned on changing the following parts. But I am not sure whether to buy them for the civic or the ITR. Cause the body will be a civic but the engine will be ITR.
1. Exhaust
2. Headers
3. Intake
4. Suspension
5. Fuel pomp
6. Fuel pressure regulator
7. Brakes
8. Clutch assembly & flywheel

I think I have to buy 1, 2, 3,5,6,8 for the ITR and 4 and 7 for the civic.
1. I already have a aftermarket exhaust. It’s pretty small so will I have to buy a bigger/better one to support the ITR engine?
2. Can I just pop a vortech fuel pump in there instead of the ITR OEM fuel pump?
3. Can I go with the OEM Type R brakes or do I need to buy aftermarket brakes for the civic? And will the ITR brakes pads/rotors ect fit on the civic chassis?
4. Will the ITR OEM clutch be able to handle the extra power put in the civic chassis or will I need a aftermarket ITR clutch?

I’m not really sure though so I could use some advice.

Back