1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Civic pops out of gear

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by Slow&Delirious, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Slow&Delirious

Slow&Delirious isn't fast or furious

So i have a 2001 civic that pops out of second gear frequently. I have researched it on google but there was nothing helpful. I also checked for TSBs on AllData but nothing revelent

I did find a thread on a honda forum where a guy with an 8th gen civic poped out of gear and he went to a tranny shop and they put weights on the shift linkage and it fixed it, anyone know anything about this?

its a really anoying problem any help or advice would be great

thanks

2. 95b16coupe

95b16coupe New Member

take it to honda. are you sure there isn't a TSB? i just posted one for the 8th gen.

3. Slow&Delirious

i would prefer not to go to the dealer and loose my ass
    if its the tranny i can just get a used one to put in, but i am hoping someone will have had the same problem before and its someting simple, but that prolly isnt the case

4. 95b16coupe

95b16coupe New Member

dealership will diagnose for free. fix it yourself.

5. dc4dude

dc4dude Member

sounds like a shaft bearing that has play inside the trans case. either reebuild or replace, or both...

6. Slow&Delirious

i have an oppoiment with honda tuesday to get my airbag recall taken care of, so i will get a honda tech's 2 cents about it while im there

is there any chance that it would be shift linkage related? it wouldnt be a huge deal for me to get a whole nother tranny from a salvage yard, but i dont want to waste $100 and time if it was something simple/obvious?

7. pooksy64

pooksy64 RidetilldeathdousparT

Honda does not diag for free you pay a portion of the shop rate usually shop rates differ between dealerships. I would know ive work for honda and nissan.

Fyi --usually it is the syncro gears on the main shaft of the tranny that are worn out.when u go to select the gear(s) with the worn out syncro it will allow the shift fork to engauge into the gear but will not hold while the gear is under a load(engine tq) causing the shifter to pop back into neutral. you may have a different prob but just letting you know what i have usually seen what has caused that problem

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  8. 99sidude

99sidude Moderator Moderator VIP

Try swapping the MTF to GM Synchromech - Friction Modified. I used it on my old gsr swap and it really helped out. It has worked well with the 6 speed guys driving s2000's and newer si's with the 3rd gear issue.

9. EKDriv3r

EKDriv3r New Member

My 98 kept popping out of gear randomly. Turned out to be a shifter tuning fork being bent. Fun.

New trans, problem solved!

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted