Civic starts but won't run

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

doc

1999 Civic 1.6 SOHC will start but when the key is released, the engine dies... immediate, like it is turned off. I bought it this way and the previous owner claimed he replaced the coil. I have replaced the plugs and wires, and the fuel pump.

One thread is enough. Be patient, someone that knows what's going wrong with your car may respond eventually.

There's no power to the dashboard or to anything else thru the ignition switch until the switch is turned an extra 2 degrees or so. If I start the car and hold the key a bit turned (not enough to keep the starter motor running), the engine will run.
So now the problem is how ignition switches go bad, if there's a way to adjust this (I see a security star nut in the side of the assembly), and if there's any hazard in messing around with the ignition switch.

Ignition switches are a bitch to mess with. I'd honestly just take it to a shop and let them fuck with it. A REPUTABLE one obviously.

I had similar problem with mine last year... I would start the car and it would run for half a sec then die... I could hear the fuel pump and everthing...after like ten attempts it would finally start. In my case it was the main relay was going out. Hope this helps.

Back