civic swap...need advice

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ok...so I drive a 99 civic ex coupe

i've been wanting to put a swap in it for a while now...and i've decided im going to take out a loan to get it and in the process ill get some good credit.

The only problem is I need help on deciding what I should put in it.

i've been wanting to put in a h22a in because it's kinda cheep for 200hp...and it can beat most people who have b16 swap's...i just lose power steering and a/c

iv also heard that h22a's dont do so great w/ turbo's because of thier compression...and that i should go for a gsr

what are some opinions i could get? I'm probably going to take out a $3000 loan.

pretty much everyone here will recommend hmotors... there are cheaper sources, but none have the great rep hmotors has.

ahhhh...thats like 4000 >_>

should i go GSR or type R

o well...ill talk it over w/ the people whos gonna give me the loan...and see how much the monthly payments are gonna be

The TypeR is cool but mainly if your going all motor (also has the LSD). It's compression is pretty high and not really ment for safely boosting....but a properly tuned all motor TypeR should compete with a turbo'd GSR. The TypeR i'm swapping in when running used to take my 8.5psi turbo'd b16a2...

Basically in my opinion if you want boost no doubt go GSR, if you want n/a go TypeR.

ITR motors are a bad buy imho. You pay alot just for the bling/rare factor. A gsr motor can be had for half the price and they are close in power output.

The TypeR is cool but mainly if your going all motor (also has the LSD). It's compression is pretty high and not really ment for safely boosting....but a properly tuned all motor TypeR should compete with a turbo'd GSR. The TypeR i'm swapping in when running used to take my 8.5psi turbo'd b16a2...

Basically in my opinion if you want boost no doubt go GSR, if you want n/a go TypeR.

i just looked on hmotors and it says the compression on the GSR is the same as the H22A....and i hear H22A's have high compression....am i missing sumthin?? lol...imma noob at cars btw

h22's have thin, composite cylinder sleeves, which are alot weaker than the sleeve on the gsr. You can boost an h22, just not as much as a gsr.

ok....
reading over your posts it seems like you just need to buy the obd2b ls engine and boost that... it will be much cheaper and a head swap can be done at home. fuck the bull shit if you just want a 220-300 hp DD an ls is the best choice money wise.

What octane fuel should a guy run if he builds a stock ls block with a vtec head (say b16 head)? Can you run 87 octane regular unleaded? Does the b16 head increase the compression ratioof the ls?

Last edited:
oh yeah. i duno about hmots.. i kno that their motors are probably good ( i never tested the sompression on mine...... well my mechanics didnt want to. but while i was over there.. pretty shitty service.. they acted all really like shady n shit.. and liek they didnt wanna answer any questions.. almost as if all of these motors were stolen lol

yeah I bought my motor from hmotors... it arrived in great shape and has been awesome since i got it. I never got a reciept when I bought it tho.... I called them about it and I still never saw it.

Back