Civic totalled, need advice

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

insurg3

So i had a civic with a b18c5 motor and this truck driver cuts into my lane spins me 90 degrees into oncoming traffic and slam into this other guy's brand spankin new 07 accord. (Poor guy just got it from the dealer 3 wks ago)Question is, is the truck's insurance company gonna re-imburse me on the car before the accident (which is shit anyways)??????? or will they consider the value of the car and the engine too. Or am i better off pullin the engine out and re-selling it???? I believe the car is totalled cause airbags deployed and damage went beyond the body to the frame. Amazingly it started i was still able to pull outta traffic. Just coolant leaked out of the radiator and a/c compressor busted no cold air. Engine seemed to be fine. Has anyone dealt with this kinda thingy? advice appreciated thanx.

RIP 97 civic coupe
b18c5
tanabe exhaust
aem cai

first file it with your insurance agency they will send out a guy to check the damage to the vehicle and determine if its totaled, if they deem it to be totaled (which they probably will) then they will check the value of the car before the wreck and pay you for it. after that you do have the option of buying the car back from them for the value of it after the wreck, then you can decide what to do with it then. they will not compensate you for the value of the engine unless you had it specifically covered.

^ yup exactly.

take the check, buy it back for like 800-1500 bucks, and then part it out, or put the good stuff in another chassis again.

whatever you do don't give them the car
they will prob only give you the money for the car's fair market value
you can attempt to get more $$$ for mods, just remember the noisy wheel gets the oil
if you make a big enough noise they will prob give you something but the odds are against you
pull the motor and sell it
the first thing you should do is check to make sure the mounts on the motor and trans weren't cracked off the block/housing
might sound crazy but i've seen it happen

if they pay me for the value of the car, will they take it?
and can i have it pulled out before the inspection?
thx for the replies

you can pull the motor
they will prob want to take possession of the car
i would refuse
tell them you want it back
you don't want to "buy it back"
you just want it back
if they take possession of the car they can do whatever they want with it
ie: sell it to someone else

you can pull the motor
they will prob want to take possession of the car
i would refuse
tell them you want it back
you don't want to "buy it back"
you just want it back
if they take possession of the car they can do whatever they want with it
ie: sell it to someone else
usually if the insurance company takes it, the cars goes to an auto auction like "copart". they will probably give you market value for the car, maybe a little more if you have a receipt for the engine. not likely though.
if they pay me for the value of the car, will they take it?
and can i have it pulled out before the inspection?
thx for the replies
if they pay you for the value of the car, they are technically "buying" it from you. so they can sell it, scrap it, or rebuild it and paint it pink. you have a check so it is out of your hands. don't pull the motor before inspection because they will think you didn't have a motor in it or had something stolen. don't raise any suspicions.

did the truck even stop from the accident? when did this happen?

yes he did stop and i'm gonna go through his insurance. happened like 3 days ago. I'm thinking if the market value and the buyback value are reasonable, i'll take the check and resell the drivetrain. thx guys

keep on them. they have 30 days max to write you a check. if they give you 4k, and buyback is anything more than you would get to part it out don't mess with it.

when you cover a vehicle for collision the coverage is extended on an Actual Cash Value basis for the market value of the factory vehicle. There is a market for modified vehicles however it doesn't sound like you wrote the policy with a modified auto insurance company

HOWEVER!

Don't listen to these people. Sorry guys but you're all wrong. If in fact this is a Not at Fault accident the primary coverage comes from the at fault drivers Property Damage Liability coverage, which is extended on the basis of "indemnification" (to make whole). That being said I would be looking for receipts for the stuff I bought for it, take pictures of the engine to verify what it is, etc. The only reason I can think of that you wouldn't have enough coverage would be if the value of the vehicle exceeded his property damage coverage and your UM/UIM "uninsured/under-insured motorist" coverage had to fill the gap, then you may be back to square one with the type of coverage you purchased in the first place...

that's how the state of Oregon looks at it anyways, your state may be different but generally auto insurance is auto insurance...

I agree, find recipes (you did keep them right? I know I have all my stuff on file) and go after not yours but the other guys insurance. Tell them this is what you put in the car and it cost you this much.

I know a guy who just got his car painted, someone totaled his car, He was able to get the value of the car back + the total cost of the new paint job. only becusae he had everythign on record.

If they say no tell them you'll speak with your lawyer about your options and get back to them.

Back