claying a sohc!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Arachnid

I am putting skunk2 stage2 camshaft in to my d16y8. valves and retainers too! My question is, does anyone know if i'll have to clay my engine?? i was reading up on "claying" and although it doesn't directly point it out...i figure that it is only meant for dohcs...since it requires camgear tuning....is this little thought of mine true?

Originally posted by 97hatch@May 18 2004, 11:41 PM
you should to be safe you dont want to hit a valve with a piston now do you

I agree. Is it really worth all the money of a valve train upgrade to skimp on the littlest shit?That just seems retarded in my book...

Clay it! You can still tune your power curve with adjustments on a single cam too...

I'm going to admit ignorance on this one and ask exactly what "claying" is. as it seems like a slang term for something that I would normally understand

Originally posted by seanjuan@May 19 2004, 08:09 AM
I'm going to admit ignorance on this one and ask exactly what "claying" is. as it seems like a slang term for something that I would normally understand

you physically put small piece of modeling clay in the valve reliefs of the pistons, bolt you head on and give it a couple of turns to see how much clearance you have (valve to piston clearance)

matt

I figured it had something to do with valve clearance just didn't know exactly how.

thanks

skunk2 stage 2 sohc cam? where are you gettin them from, i just talked to skunk2 bout a week ago, and they said they weren't released yet!!

this shop here (st. paul, mn) offers them here. those damn bastards at skunk2 never return my emails to them. the shop is called "Propulshun" it's legit skunk2 stage2 cams...cause it was in the catalog and i was lookin' at it. i think it's the newest catalog. big thick skunk2 catalog book...

Back