Cleaned up my engine bay today

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Cleaned up my engine bay today *DUW* 20 Pics

First I'd like to thank NickQ and Ray for all the help today.

We spent quite a bit of time today cleaning up the engine bay today. Painted a few things, removed quite a bit of things, and relocated some parts.

The Battery and Fuse block was the most challenging today. That took the most of the time.

I've been trying to hide the entire engine harness as much as possible, but it's been tough. I really think I improved the injector and intake manifold area today. I'm pleased with the results.

Next on the agenda;

* Remove the entire stock fuel filter and replace it with a small inline filter and stainless steel lines coming up to the stock rail.
* Remove the entire clutch lines and replace them with stainless steel lines.

First, before I show you the pictures from today. I'd like to show you what my engine bay looked like in '99 when I first swapped in the b16. Check out all the crap. lol

19.jpg

20.jpg

Here are the pictures of the engine today, enjoy.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

Some shamless plugs for my car, since it doesn't get the attention of this thread.
6.jpg

8.jpg

I also got my alarm installed, thank god I'm friends and work with the some of the absolute best installers in the industry.

Yes, the alarm is fully installed. ;)

12.jpg

looks good mang, but i'm confused.. the only time you've really posted here is when it has something to do with your car, or nickq's car.. not to be a jerk, but is the only reason your here is to showoff//brag about your car?

looks good, but its gonna be a total pain in the ass when you have to actually get at those wires for some reason or another, and believe me, it will happen, lol.

Originally posted by 90 accord@Jul 4 2004, 12:59 AM
the only time you've really posted here is when it has something to do with your car, or nickq's car.. not to be a jerk, but is the only reason your here is to showoff//brag about your car?

Pretty much.

j/k

When I make a thread sharing what i've done, I try to post them on all the "honda" forums that i'm a member on. Just in case there is a person on here, that's not on the other boards I'm posting on. You never know, that person might have a question or idea that we could get from each other.

See what I'm getting at?

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Jul 4 2004, 01:12 AM
looks good, but its gonna be a total pain in the ass when you have to actually get at those wires for some reason or another, and believe me, it will happen, lol.

No, it won't be so bad. It's very organized and easy to work with. :)

Plus, I've had this swap in for roughly 5 years, no need to get to the wires yet. ;)

I'm sorry, but painting everything in your engine bay krylon black doesnt really institute CLEANING YOUR ENGINE BAY. You didnt even take the bolts of the struts.. you just painted over everything... :| <_< :unsure:

I"m not a dick... glad ya spent time on it.

Looks clean.

Originally posted by 92CivicCx@Jul 4 2004, 10:02 AM
i like it.... i dont see why everyone needs to be a dick.

:withstupid:

u can come clean my engine bay any day...mine looks like it could be the bowels of the universe, im just to lazy to clean it

Really nice, one of the cleanest looking cars I have seen in awhile, even if you had to go as far as paint!

I really like your engine bay, but why not say how you did it. I would like to know how to move the harnesses out of the way, and everything like that.

I think the car looks tits :thumbsup: And who really gives a shit if he was bragging? Isn't that the main purpose of building fast cars?

Originally posted by ScrapinSi@Jul 4 2004, 03:45 AM
I'm sorry, but painting everything in your engine bay krylon black doesnt really institute CLEANING YOUR ENGINE BAY. You didnt even take the bolts of the struts.. you just painted over everything... :| <_< :unsure:

maybe he did that on purpose? lol

Originally posted by ScrapinSi@Jul 4 2004, 02:45 AM

lol, nice.

I didn't know all I did from this picture,
20.jpg

to this picture,
15.jpg

is paint everything black. :unsure:
Dude, I wish it was that easy. Especially after yesterday when I moved the fuse block.

Thanks for helping me though, next time i'll just spray paint over everything I move or relocate. It sure would make it alot easier. :lol:

Originally posted by asmallsol+Jul 4 2004, 11:13 AM-->
I really like your engine bay, but why not say how you did it. I would like to know how to move the harnesses out of the way, and everything like that.
I'm working up on the write up right now.

NickQ, friend of mine has a done similar writeup.
I'll paste it here:

NickQ

By popular demand, I have Made a list of what I did to clean-up my engine bay. Hope it helps you out. =)

Then LS turbo, look at the mess.
1.jpg

Now Swapped in a B18C, but still not the prettiest of engine bays, but some of the wiring was hidden in this picture.
2.jpg

3.jpg

Still the b18c after a little clean up and some painting. But the engine bay was still way too cluttered for me at this point. Especially the battery area and "turbo" area. ;)
4.jpg

So after numerous more hours spending on the engine bay, this is what it looks like today.

073.jpg

072.jpg

070.jpg

062.jpg

061.jpg

055.jpg

054.jpg

051.jpg

047.jpg

035.jpg

031.jpg

027.jpg

021.jpg

How did I get to this point?
Well, here is your write up.

Besides the obvious swap from LS turbo to stock GSR

Removed

* AC (ALL components, wires, and lines)
* PS (ALL components, wires, and lines)
* Drag 3 turbo (and ALL components, wires, and lines) from the LS
* ITR radiator (replaced w/ stock civic radiator, and single Fal slimline fan)
* Washer fluid resivior
* Stereo circuit breaker

Relocated

* ALL wiring from wiring harness
-Wiring moved from on top and across fender well, to underneath chassis, and outside of the engine bay. Between the fender and engine bay.
* Headlight wiring
-For both sides, I cut the headlight wiring, and ran it through a little hole in the chassis behind the headlamp assembly. Then I connected the wiring using solderless butt connectors, then heat wrapped it with black heat wrap.
* Radiator catch can
-I took off the front facia, and attached the can to the center radiator support, on the passenger side in front of the radiator, using black gardener's plastic coated wire. All that was needed after that was a hose long enough to reach it.This will not affect cooling enough to even matter. I have not seen ANY rise in tempature.
* Brake booster vaccume hose and check valve
-I bought a line of hose long enough to run underneath the booster and up to the intake manifold (approx 24"). I then used a pair of pliers to rotate the fitting on the top of the intake manifold to face down to better hide the hose. Be careful while doing this as not to break it off. I have noticed that on some engines, it is almost impossible to move without breaking.
* ALL battery wiring
-I removed the battery and all mounting hardware. I moved all wiring behind the battery and underneath the mount. I ran the negative wire behind, and around the passenger side to the fender wall. I moved the positive power wire behind and underneath the battery. Then up to the fuse block. I moved the positive starter wire behind and underneath the battery, under the chassis, and to the starter. (see Replaced section for new wire treatment)
* ALL misc. motor wiring (including; distributor, O2 sensor, VTEC, and GSR intake secondary wiring)
-Heat wrapped, and moved as close to the motor, and under the intake manifold, as possible, using black zip-ties.
* Fuel injector wiring
-While fuel rail was off (see Painted section) I disconnected the injector wiring. I removed all of the stock heat wrap from the injector wiring, pulled out as much as I could through the harness, and re-wrapped it with heat wrap. This lengthened the wiring just enough. I then ran each wire and connector as follows: I ran the wire for cylinder #1 (going from left to right) through the 1 & 2 runner. #2 through the 2 & 3 runner. #3 through the 3 & 4 runner. #4 on the outside of the #4 runner.I put back on the fuel rail, leaving the wiring underneath, and plugged the injectors back in. You will have to spin the injectors so that the connector is pointing at the driver (kinda diagonal-right).

Replaced

* ITR radiator for smaller, stock radiator
* Top radiator bracket
-I removed the stock radiator bracket. I cut a short length of metal plumbers tape and bent it to shape. This is a lot smaller and, in my opinion, looks much better. Then I attached it in place of the original.
* STR oil cap for stock oil cap
* Battery terminals (my little secret ;). If you really want to know what terminals I used, PM me)
* ALL battery wiring
-I used 0 gauge, Stinger ground wire (completley covered in heat wrap) with stinger gold connectors on everything.
* ALL ground wires
-I used 0-4 gauge stinger ground wire, completley heat wrapped in black, with stinger gold conectors.
* Red 8mm spark plug wires for stock black wires

Painted

* Engine bay
* Valve cover
(Complete Write-up: http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=622687 )
* Spark plug wire cover
* Fuel Rail
* Fuel pressure regulator
* Cap on the passenger side of fuel rail
* VTEC solenoid
* Battery
* Battery hold down
* Master cylinder
* Clutch resivior bracket
* Intake manifold diaphram (top left)
* ALL motor mounts
* Exaust heat shield
* Radiator
* Radiator cap
* Radiator hold down bracket
(see Replaced section)
* Hood latch (will not affect functionality)
* Tranny fluid line bracket (lower left)
* ALL brake lines
* ALL fuel lines

Materials used

* Paint
-Duplicolor 1200 degree engine enamel (satin black)
-Duplicolor black textureized paint (valve cover)
-Any Primer

* Paint stripping
-Aircraft paint remover (spray)
-GOOD pair of anti-corrosion gloves
-Fine grit wet sanding paper

* Wiring
-0 to 4 gauge Stinger ground wire
-Stinger gold wire connectors
-Black heat wrap
-Black electrical tape
-Black zip ties

* Misc.
-Metal plumbers tape
-Any masking tape for painting
-Simple Green spray for degreasing
-Hose from any auto parts store
-I replaced all nuts and bolts that I could with new, black ones from the hardware store

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or email me @ NickQuisenberry@yahoo.com

Originally posted by pheonixb16aguy@Jul 4 2004, 03:00 PM
so in one day of work you added a turbo charger and painted your car, and engine bay .. i dont get it .. am i missing something. .. the first car is green and the second one is black and boosted .. note i'm still half asleep but ..those are 2 different cars or alot of work to the green one all in one day ..lol virtually impossible .. looks good though... all though i hate when kids spray paint shit to try and make there car look like a "sleeper"

What?

You're confusing me. What are you asking?

I never painted my car, it still has the stock paint job. On the car and under the engine bay.

there is ryan car ( its black ) and there is nicks car ( teal ) so there is two cars posted ryans car was black and stayed black

Back