clear taillight modding

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Prowler

Super Moderator
i'm hating the amber piece in my taillights, but i didn't want to spend $80+ for the si style taillights on ebay.
so i just purchased some clear taillights on ebay for $40 shipped and am going to use candle apple red paint to do the top half. might make the bottom half tinted black with nite shades, but i'm not sure yet. anyways, it should look very close to si style for about half the price.
so my question is: what brand is the paint to use for the candy apple red? where can i pick it up? how much does it cost? any tips on painting them?

I bought some at micheals a craft store in maryland. I used krylon stained glass spray paint. But they werent my tail lights, they were for an integra to have all red lights. It looked good after it was done. It is pretty simple to do. Just remember to let them dry as long as you can and i did a light wet 600 grit sandpaper. Looked good. Good luck and post pics.

Yes, you do need to reflect red from the back. As long as you paint the clears to red, you should be fine.

I would personally pick Testors Candy Apple Red transparent paint with a Candy Apple Clear gloss on top to finish it off. I used a different kind of paint for my tails back in Oklahoma where I couldn't find Testors paint and it came out ok too:

https://hondaswap.com/~mike/tails/

paint_tails_20_sm.jpg

paint_tails_21_sm.jpg

paint_tails_22_sm.jpg

My little link there ought to help you out some. :)

Back