Click here to read the sadness.....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MugenCRX

Ok, so heres the story. I get outta school for Christmas break and everything is going great. I got my car painted SI blue and my bodykit molded and whatnot and everythings cool. So I'm now looking forward to going back to school and watching everyone drool over how gorgeous my car looks now. So Monday morning comes around, time to go to school. I'm getting excited right. It is however the coldest day of the year in Colorado and temperatures were at a teeth-chattering -11 at its coldest. I dont care, my car still looks good.

Here I am, I go out to my car and get in, getting ready to drive my friend home before I go off to the learning facility. This is the point where tragedy sets in. My CRX is running fine, kinda off a little, but I blame the cold. Well, when I did my B18A swap into my car in October, the motor smoked a shitload. It took all the money I had to keep oil in the goddamn engine. So after school today I was getting some Bronze Valve Guides put in in hopes of stopping the smoke, but that never happened. At the bottom of the hill that my friend lives on my car died. It just shut off, no strange noises no nothing. Just dead. I then proceeded to try and crank it over, but to no prevail.

After about an hour of pushing the car up the hill on ice and then working on trying to figure out what the hell happend in -11 degree weather we call it quits. I called my Dad and had him come tow it out to his shop to have a professional mechanic look at it.

Well, heres what happened according to the mechanic, (and he's a family friend so I know he's not trying to fuck me over), I SPUN A MAIN BEARING AND TOOK OUT A ROD!!! :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

Too end this horrible tragedy is a sign off good fortune, now I get to build my ITR motor and trust me, this badboy is going to be built lika muthafucka!! A preview would be Darton sleeves, Oversize Wiseco 9.5:1 pistons, Eagle H-Beam rods, and thats only the bottom end. :ph34r:

that sucks but at least you get to rebuilt it...then it's going to be a huge importment on what it was

Both, It burned a lot of it because the valve guide seals were worn and I have a feeling that the piston rings weren't in the best shape either. The oil pan also leaked. It doesn't really bother me that it's blown or that it had these problems, I only paid $100 for the motor from a junkyard, so I guess you get what you pay for.

Itr with Wiseco 9.5:1 pistons? Are you planning on boosting?

Thanks for your sympathy. In response to all of your questions...

1.) DarkHand
I didn't spend any money on bling, my Dad did it all for free, he owns a body shop, and the only reason I didn't rebuild the LS motor, is because the HF motor that was in my car was probably as close to blowing as Jenna Jameson and I got the ITR block and decided I would rather spend the money and build that rather than the LS. :D

2.) Hatchbacks Anonymous
I'm shooting to get it running by graduation. So I have about 5 months to get some serious cash flow. :unsure:

3.) brc80
You are correct. And not just baby boosting, I'm talking about BOOST!!! :D :D

4.) Spotlinecrx
See, thats what I don't understand, I always drove softly on my car, unless I was racing and when it actually happened, I couldn't have been going faster than 5mph. I was turning a corner and going through a dip, and all of a sudden everything just died. And when we finally did get the motor to start at my dads shop, you could hear the rod just knocking away. I think its because it was so cold and there wasn't enough lubricationg on the crank? :(

Originally posted by MugenCRX@Jan 15 2004, 09:13 AM
I think its because it was so cold and there wasn't enough lubricationg on the crank? :(

At its worst I was adding nearly a quart of oil a day to the Civic when it was leaking from the cam seal. If you were loosing oil the level might have gotten a little too low.

yep, when its that cold your oil was probably super thick and because you were already having oil issues, so no oil between your bearings and rods= spun bearing. I spun a bearing on my last y8 but that was from abuse :D . Good luck on the new build.

pissedoffsol Posted on Jan 15 2004, 10:36 AM
if you're going to boost, save 2 grand and get a gsr. you'll make the same damn power.

I don't understand. Do you mean, save 2 grand and buy a stock GSR and boost and I'll make as much power as boosting the ITR with the internals?

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jan 15 2004, 09:36 AM
if you're going to boost, save 2 grand and get a gsr. you'll make the same damn power.

First off, where can you get a GSR motor for $2k? I'm looking at about $3k from hmotorsonline

he said you will save 2k, not that it costs 2k. you will spend all kinds of money on an ITR block, only to rip out the internals which you spent money on. the gsr and the itr are basically the same block when you take out all the internals. i think the only difference is the oil pump.

He meant he would save 2k w/ buying a GSR for 3k instead of buying a 5k ITR.

As far as boosting goes, save the 2k and spend that on getting the GSR motor built. Power differences wont be that different between the two to spend that extra money and if you want to build the motor right, you're most likely going to change everything in the ITR that you spent more money on getting.

my ls block spun a main bearing, and it made this nasty knocking sound when it went. Did you hear this knocking sound? And by taking out a rod, do you mean it snapped? Because when my bearing went out, my car was still drivable, and I had to drive it back into town, since I was about 5 miles out of town when it went out. The rod did not break either, and my car still turned over, even though it sound aweful. Think of it sounding like a super loud diesel.

Well you see. That would be a good idea, if I were buying the ITR. But here is the situation as it currently stands. In my possesion I have a B18C5 block with GSR pistons and rods. I have the complete bottom end, all the internals are in a box sitting next to it, and I didn't pay anything for it. So I am going to build the fucking shit out of the ITR block for boost. And I also have an obd0 B16A head thats complete and ready to be bolted onto the bottom end whenever it is done. So you see why I'm building a Type-R and not a GSR, Because I already have the ITR and it was free. :ph34r:

Never herd of somebody with an ITR block and B16 head. My guess is that the ITR is not going to be as good as a stock ITR because it has GSR internals and a weaker head. Just guessing but I dont really know for sure. Does anybody know what that is going to do? Anybody done that before??

Back