Clicking noise coming from transmission

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

j429b

There is a clicking noise coming from my transmission when the car is in neutral, or in gear with the clutch pushed in. It only makes the clicking noise when the car is moving, and it gets louder with speed. But it doesn't make any noise when it's in gear or under acceleration. The transmission feels fine. I changed the tranny fluid with Gm Synchromesh, and the transmission bolt with a skunk 2 magnetic one, last weekend and it has made the noise since then. It never made the noise before and it made it as soon as I drove the car after changing the fluid and bolt. The transmission is from a 1998 gsr. Any ideas what this noise could possibly be? Thank You

I would guess that the drain plug that you put in is a little longer than the old one. Try putting the old one in and see if it's still there. If it's not and you want to keep the magnetic one, put an extra sealing washer on it!

i would say it would be synchros... my d series trayy did the same thing. is it hard to get into gea? does it randomly fall out of gear? does the noise go away after depressing the clutch?
answer these questions and it should narrow a few things down.

Well I found the problem! My skunk2 magnetic drain bolt's magnet was eaten by my transmission. The magnet part is sheared completely off. When I talked to a local shop the mechanic said that the shorter magnet is supposed to go in the tranny and the long one in the oil pan but on skunk2.com it says the contrary.
magOilPlugs.jpg
Which one is the correct bolt? What should I do now that there pieces of the magnet in my transmission?

Back