cluster doesnt work

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

old Skuul Hatch

On my brothers 93 civic ex his friend and him were hooking up the stereo, for some reason they pulled the ecu fuse out while the car was running :ph34r:

Now the guage cluster doesnt work,blinkers and the parking lock brake wont disengauge has to use key.

I tried reseting the ecu and checked the fuses.

so did he fry the ecu or ......??

Please help!

The parking brake won't disengage?
it has nothing to do with the ECU or anything electrical for that matter.

Cluster not working?
Check fuses and look for shorts.

It starts.

pusing on the brake to put it in gear wont work,u have to use the key thing.

My bad I explaind that wrong.

Cluster lights come on but the guages dont work, turn signals dont work and wont go into gear.

I pulled every fuse there all ok :(

How do I go about looking for shorts?

Yea, sounds like an ECU problem.

Look for wires grounding themselves or touching other wires. Check the hazard switch too, without one properly connected you can't use your turn signals.

The bad connection/short will probably be around where the stereo is.

I'm also now assuming that the car is auto.

Yes auto.

The thing that did it was pulling the ecu fuse while it was running. :ph34r:

The stereo wireing is ok,stereo works.

Havent touched any wireing besides stereo(hooking up subs)

Reseting it didn't work so im guesing hees now in need of a new ecu? <_<

I don't want to tell you to go out and buy a new ECU, when it could simply be a wire. I believe that the wiring from the cluster goes past the stereo, so a wire could be touching.

Did your brother hook up the stereo properly. I.E. not cutting and splicing random wires that have power running through them, becasue if he did it that way...there's the problem.

I can't help you on the auto problem, but the problem probably lies within the cluster problem.

BTW, why did he pull the ECU fuse while the car was running...or any fuse for that matter?

Its hooked up properly,no spliceing into the harness.

Yes he pulled the fuse while it was running or his friend.. no clue why they did that :blink:

wait till someone else responds before you go out and buy a new ECU, I think you should here more opinion before you take my advice.

I dunno, I'm not big on computer shit. I don't know why anyone else isnt posting, but I think that it can be fried without any visible damage.

BUMP for this guy.

Well my plan B on these problems is to find a good ECU to swap in, then see how the car runs. ECU's are fairly durable. In general, if the junkyard ones have a good exterior casing, one doesn't worry about their performance.

Whoever pulled that ECU fuse while the car was running is a stupid shit. It's never cool to goof around a car like that. :angry:

Alrighty,he got a diff. ecu still the same shit not worken.

So any ideas on what the hell his friend screwd up by pulling the ecu fuse out while the car was running!?!?

:worthy: PLZ HElp

My old Accord wouldnt come out of park unless I used the key to unlock it. Beleive it or not, I changed all the fuses under the hood and it was all good from then on ..

Back