Cluster lights went out...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GQMarques

GQMarquesâ„¢
Hello again. I have yet another problem with my 95 civic. I was cruising around and hit a pot hole... nothing extreme, but my cluster lights went out on me.

How do I go about finding the source of the problem before I just go and replace the cluster all together?

Also, if I do find that it's the cluster gone bad, how hard is it to replace? What cluster should I replace it with if I wanted a different look?

Thanks again... this forum never lets me down.

Marcus

Check all your fuses to start with.. could be a short somewhere or an exposed wire that bumped some bare metal when you hit the pothole..

I'd bet a paycheck that its the dimmer switch......I've owned 2 eg's and 1 ej and all of the dimmer switches were bad or went bad. I'v seen tons of other ones go bad too.

Good call.. that didn't even cross my mind when I was reading that post :bonk:

I suspect the dimmer swich too. Sometimes my guage lights will go out, or partially go out. If I move the dimmer wheel around, it usually fixes the problem.

lol can't believe i didn't check that! Thanks a lot. I'll get back to you tomorrow with the results.

crap crap crap! Ok problem is spreading. (wasn't the dim-switch btw =^\

I'll start from the beginning- First my taillights aren't glowing like they should xcept the 3rd one in the real glass. they will only light when braking or making a turn. I have after market taillights and thought that was the problem (which i think has a lil' to do with it still) so I ordered new taillights instead of bypassing the worn relay. (new ones haven't come in yet)

Second- My over head light on ceiling turns on while driving for no reason. Now it has to be set to off position instead of door open=on, door closed=off. I checked the button in door but it seems to be fine.

Third- halo's on my headlights go out and they're only 8mo old. Shortly after that my cluster lights go out completely.

It's obvious my nightmare has come true since I know nothing of electronics. Engines, body wk ... ok, but not electronics. As always any and all input is greatly appreciated. Hopefully I can get this taken care of before I get pulled over.

Marcus

Grab a volt meter and get to checkin' stuff. Check your mods first. Then check the factory stuff. Might be alt going bad. Start the car and check the voltage at the battery. 13-14 volts should be good. Turn it off and check the battery. 11.2- 12.8 you are in the safe zone. A little higher or a little lower, replace the battery and see if it still persists. The lights don't dim out until about a 1/4-1 mile down the road. Prob is fixed. if it does, go back to the alt. Break it down and check the diode trio. The battery charging side of the trios could be good but the accessery side could be bum. If you don't know what a diode trio is, take it off and take it to auto zone, advance, what ever auto parts store near you that tests alternators.

Yeah definitely check the voltages/alternator/battery most auto parts stores can do it for you free also if you don't have a multimeter.. they have handheld testers now that will check all of that without having to remove anything. Wrong voltage/shorted batteries can cause all sorts of havoc on a car's electrical system.

Back