Clutch burnt/slips

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Harms Way

Can someone please explain to me in a fashion that I can fully understand HOW exactly and WHY a clutch either slips or burns? I have searched on here as well as the internet and i can't find it. What does a person do wrong to have a clutch slip or burn on them? My friend tried to explain to me and he is pretty experienced at driving a standard shift vehicle, but I guess i didn't get the concept. Thanks

when its not fully engauged (resting foot on clutch) the clutch disc is staying in one position or moveing slower then the flywheel so that it slips which will cause friction and it will heat up. its kind of hard to understand if you dont know what the clutch looks like or how it works.

it's the nature of the beast.

a clutch (and torque converters for that matter) is a SLIPPING device. if it didn't slip, it would either be engaged or disengaged- and that makes for an aweful ride.

So, due to the fact that everytime you use the clutch, its causing friction of the clutch against the pressure plate, and friction = wear.

eventually, it wares down just like brake pads do- and frankly, the operation is pretty close to how brakes work- only in the complete opposite direction.

when there's less clutch material left to grab hold, it "slips" and gets hot and burns, and smells :)

Back