clutch cable problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

vanillakilla

well I finally got my car back from the frame shop and I put my motor back in and I am having problems with the clutch cable. The clutch cable doesn't reach the arm that actuates the throwout bearing. I adjusted the cable at the pedal to give me the most extra cable I can get and it is still about 2 inches away. I am really stumped as to why this would happen because I haven't touched it since the motor has been out of the car, and everything went togethor fine when I did the clutch last july. I dropped the tranny to make sure nothing was out of place with the throwout bearing and everything is fine. I will work on getting pictures but something is definately wrong. All suggestions greatly appreciated

Get two or three people in on the action, cables are fairly stretchy they just take a lot of force (not BREAKING force mind you) to do it. When we used to run cables in the airplane it would take two guys pulling on the cable, otherwise they were about a foot too short.

If you are having trouble getting a grip on the cable you can get a small piece of rope and tie a Prusik knot. Once tightened down you can pull on the rope and it will not slip down the cable, but its still really easy to undo since there really isn't a knot involved.

prusik.gif

Picture shows two loops, if it slips use three, if that slips, use 4, it will eventually grab.

Quoted post[/post]]
u might have to lift up the arm alittle bit
I would have to lift the arm to the point of the clutch being completley disengaged in order to get the cable on.

I think I have a clue about what is going on. The cable won't reach because there is a bracket that bolts into to the transmission and the section right under it is what hooks up into the arm. When we pulled the motor the clutch cable got hung up on the motor so I think there was enough force to push the bracket down the cable a couple inhes. I am gonna go to the junkyard and get a cable and swap out the cable and see if that fixes it.

Back