Clutch/flywheel Combo

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ekPhred

Hey, wussup ya'll? I haven't posted in a while and good to be posting again! Anyway, I was wondering what is a good setup for clutch/flywheel?? I was originally going to go for ACT stage II and now a buddy of mine is saying something about Exedy clutches. I'm going to get a clutchmasters 8 lb flywheel with it. Please tell me what a good setup is. If you guys have setups post them and tell me how you like them! thanx a lot!

I have heard nothing but good things about both companies... I would go with an ACT stage III tho... I think the Exedy clutches are more $ too. I can tell you what I don't like tho... Centerforce. I glazed that mo-fo in less than 1000 miles. I can't chirp 3rd anymore and 2nd squeels sometimes and slips some others. It could be that I didn't set it right... I used the engine break-in procedure for my clutch... :D

I have Exedy Pressure Plate and Disc with a Type R Flywheel on my b16 and it yanks pretty damn good...my whole set up cost me $250...my friend has a stage 3 ACT on his teg and that shit is a bitch driving around...i don't suggest going past stage 2 for a street application...my friend says you get used to a stage 3 being that stiff but it's still a bitch

Yeah, I know most domestic guys go with centerforce, but yeah if you don't break it in for the 1st 1000 miles on it, meaning don't go above like 4k, and yeah don't slam the clutch, feather it very lightly with little gas yeah it will burn 1st 2nd 3rd etc. for a long long time but since you didn't do what the directions say, yea ofcourse its glazed.

You are correct, Act Doesn't make stages, but almost all sellers sell them in stages not by type.

then the sellers are fucking morons

but anyway ... i have an ACT street strip clutch , extreem pressure plate, and a toda flywheel .... i love it

Well yeah they really are, but yeah most of them just sell them that way to make it easier for the customers. I mean they all sell with extreme pp, and you can change the disc, which is why they have stages, like street strip disc=1, 8 puc sprung=II etc.

I know one guy that know's what he is doing and he does sell them that way mostly because most kids that buy the shit don't need it but stage V sounds a lotter better then stage I to them.

My buddy has a ACT street strip clutch, extreme pp, and a lightened flywheel, and yeah its like night/day compared to stock.

Originally posted by Gen2Teg@Jun 9 2003, 08:45 PM
ACT DOESN'T MAKE STAGES! but i would go with ACT over exedy, clutchmaster, or anything else.

geez lol...someone needs a role model or a hug...i sense some anger on your part...only reason people say stages is because it's easier to understand...but i see where you are coming from...like it annoys the hell out of me when people say "NOS" when speaking of nitrous in general

Dude, the best act for street / strip on not to much power is act HD clutch and pressure plate, u can use stock flywheel and get it lightened and balanced and it will be just as good as a aftermarket 1. thats what i us on my car and its damn sexy.

Originally posted by B16RacerN2NR+Jun 10 2003, 12:24 AM-->
@Jun 9 2003, 08:45 PM
ACT DOESN'T MAKE STAGES! but i would go with ACT over exedy, clutchmaster, or anything else.

geez lol...someone needs a role model or a hug...i sense some anger on your part...only reason people say stages is because it's easier to understand...but i see where you are coming from...like it annoys the hell out of me when people say "NOS" when speaking of nitrous in general

ok then explain to me what the stages would consist of for ACT clutches

Thanx for all the responses fellas. Yea, I always thought ACT came in stages...! :D I guess you learn something new everyday. Don't hate on me! lol But yea I was going to go with ACT in the first place. What is a good ACT clutch to get for a street/strip app? What about for Exedy? Shadney? This setup is going on a daily driven car. So keep them coming! Thanx a lot in advance!

My combo which was always good to me was a Fidanza 7lb flywheel with a ClutchNet stage 1, clutchnet and RPS turbo are the same clutches. I used it on two motors and worked fine, never slipped, always worked.

Milan

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Jun 10 2003, 12:08 AM
i have an ACT street strip clutch , extreem pressure plate, and a toda flywheel .... i love it

thats the setup i have .... it gets normal road use along with track and autoX use... it works great ... no complaints

E_sol - is this the part #? AI4-XTSS If so - good choice!
My friend is a main distributer of ACT clutches in the bay area and I have always refered to them in stages, I had to go to ACT's website to verify. E_sol is right as usual - no stages.
Fred - I would recomend the part number i listed above, anything more and they recomend that it is too harsh for street. Let me know, I'll call my buddy and get a price!

I am running the 8.5lbs CM flywheel with an ITR clutch/PP. It works well for me.

Originally posted by sohcslammer@Jun 10 2003, 02:30 PM
E_sol - is this the part #? AI4-XTSS If so - good choice!

yup thats the one

and yeah it is great for a daily driver that will see track use as well ... engagement is very good.... clutch pedal is pretty stiff though so it can be a pain in the ass in traffic or on hills... especially with a lightweight flywheel..... but hey everything has a price :) overall im very pleased with it (like ive said twice already)

Sol and Shadney thanx for all of the responses. I guess I'll go with the ACT clutch and prolly get CM 8 lb flywheel. From this thread I've heard good things about ACT. Thanx eric for the CM flywheel info. Does your homie from the bay area take credit card or Paypal? I'm setting up a Paypal account as we speak, thanx man. PM me with a price and I'll give you a call to set everything up. Thanx again homie!

Back