clutch install now no start

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

K2e2vin

I just put in a new clutch in a 90 accord, and now it doesn't start. the only thing engine related that i had touch was the spark plug wires; the distributor is new but has no TDC/1 mark on it, so i copied the firing order from the d15(its still 1342).

the car cranks fine, but wont start and sometimes shudders(as if one cylinder fired), im not sure which cylinder it is but its in a pattern. Any help?

maybe the main relay? do you hear a click when you turn the key on; does the check engine light come, then go off, then another click, then you hear the fuel pump "whirr" ?

check out this site: Honda Acura Repair Guide

another thought i had is that maybe you put the distributor on with the shaft spun 180 degrees

Last edited:
Yes there's click and fuel pump noise, the check engine light comes on when you put it in the on position, then goes away.

when you took the old distributor off, did you take the cap off first to see which way the rotor was pointing, so you could point the new rotor that way too? the way the shaft is, you can put it in two ways.

OK so I swaped in another distributor from my D15, just to check the coil, and nothing. ECU or relay? The car is throwing 0 codes btw.

are your grounds connected? my car wouldn't start for the longest time because one ground was disconnected.

you can try tapping the relay, or even opening it up and pushing on the solder with the welds. if that works, then the relay is prollly shot. does the car crank, or does it do nothing when your turn the key to start?

Where's the relay in a 90 accord? I might just resolder it.

The car does crank. The main transmission ground strap is connected, the only things i didnt connect were the cable brackets/holders. It's definantly not a ground issue because I used jumper cables from the chassis to the engine and battery to the engine to check to see if it was a ground problem.

OK figured it out, when I had put my D15b distributor in there, I forgot to put the ECU fuse back in. dope. it starts and runs rough now(incorrect timing; that means the f22 distributor is bad...), but the clutch wont engage!!! I had a hard time getting it in there(first time doing honda clutch job with motor still in there), so do you guys think I fucked the clutch up? Or is it just the flywheel(I didnt change it)?

Back