Clutch Pedal falls to floor when engaged

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ExplicitSnow

I've got a problem w/ my clutch, tranny or clutch cable. 1990 Honda CRX Si w/ a D16A1 DOHC ZC, but I've got the CRX Si transmission. Here's the problem.

When it happened, I was driving around all day and it was working just fine. No noise and no problems. I left a friend's house, got on to N. Lamar (here in Austin), I did rev it pretty high. When I went to shift into 2nd, the clutch pedal fell to the floor and stayed there. Mean while, the tranny wouldn't go into 2nd for shit. It grinded a little bit and eventually I rolled up to the stop light and pull into the Sonic parking lot. Seeing how I'm not a certified mechanic, I can't really tell the problem.

I've taken the transmission off and inspected the clutch disc. It has some wear, but it doesn't seem like the problem. When you play with the clutch pedal, you can clearly see the cable moving and the release bearing move. But I can't pinpoint the problem. The car is sitting on jack stands in my driveway, and it's a real bitch to put back together to take it to a shop. Any help is greatly appreciated.

pressure plate is fine...act, looks brand new...teeth are still very tight

there is a spring on the clutch pedal
that might have broke ... happened to a friends second gen teg

Originally posted by vpSPOONsol@Jul 22 2004, 05:47 PM
did you bleed the clutch properly? is your brake fluid full?
[post=366980]Quoted post[/post]​

its a cable actuated clutch ... there is no fluid to top off there is no line to bleed the air from

yes sirs...it was the spring...i ended up replacing clutch disk, release bearing and clutch cable...to find out that the cluth return spring was the problem the entire time...although my clutch disk was pretty eatin up...good thing i replaced it all, that was i wouldnt have to do it down the road...where can i get a clutch pedal return spring?

ok, forget about where to find the spring...where does the spring attach to/from...i see a hole on the pedal that looks like the spring should connect to, but i dont see any other holes for the other hook on the spring...anyone ever swapped the spring before on a crx? let me know where im supposed to attach it

I found this quite informative. I didn't know that that spring could ever break. Didn't even cross my mind. :shrug2: One man's problem is another man's knowledge.

Back