clutch replacement..easy?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

egsir

I have a 94 GS-R. I need to replace my clutch. I have a helms manual but, it shows me diagrams of dropping the whole transmission out. Is there anyway to just DIY? I am pretty sure that you dont have to drop the whole tranny. What type of tools would I need? Also I have been thinking of getting an ACT lightened flywheel that is 12.5 lbs with Exedy street clutch. Do you guys think this is too much for a stock GS-R? Thanks for the help. :worthy:

Make sure you go with the streetlight and not the prolight. The prolight is just too light. I would also go with an ACT clutch. The price is better and the pressure plate is made by exedy anyways.

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Nov 23 2004, 07:04 PM
act discs are not cheaper then exedy discs.
[post=421310]Quoted post[/post]​

They are for me.

Does anyone know how to get the clutch out? Is it necessary to bleed the clutch and change oil? Thanks

i have a haynes manual and it told me step by step how to change the clutch, u have to drain the trans of the trans fluid, and take the trans completely off of the block, along with both axles and shift linkege and many other things, make sure you have a big jack or a big friend to help lift the trans back onto the block, there is not much room to move the trans around, so be careful, also be prepared to be carless for about a week or more

Originally posted by sohcslammer@Nov 23 2004, 07:01 PM
Make sure you go with the streetlight and not the prolight. The prolight is just too light. I would also go with an ACT clutch. The price is better and the pressure plate is made by exedy anyways.
[post=421308]Quoted post[/post]​

How is the Prolight just too light? I have one and it is fine. And the ACT PP is not made by Exedy, that is incorrect. Exedys are made in Michigan.

FWIW, you have to drop the tranny to get to the clutch. Just follow the Helms, you will be fine. It is a simple job, just time consuming your 1st time, allow a weekend maybe but for an experienced person, a few hours.

Back