Clutch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bvtec

:huh: hi ppl some advise please the clutch on my car is on its last legs :( i wanted to know what clutch parts do i need do i just need the clutch disk? what about the clutch cover will i need that or will my standard one be sufficient and also im in the process of purchasing a flywheel i wont need the clutch cover for that will i?.im gonna buy a spoon clutch disk any objections?? :)

excuse my lack of knowledge on clutches never required one before :lol:

While you don't mention the type of vehicle, engine, hp, mods, driving style, etc., etc., there are some basic guide lines I like to follow whenever I'm into a clutch.
"while you're in there", replace EVERYTHING that can be replaced. You don't want to have to go back in there next week cause you "cheaped out" and didn't replace all the parts......like a $7.00 throwout bearing.
Any reputable clutch mfg co. can sell you a complete kit. You'll get the pressure plate(clutch cover as you refered to it), clutch disc, throwout bearing, and pilot bearing(if needed). I just put a "Clutchmasters Stage 1" into my '92 Civic. It cost $280.00 @ NOPI here in Atlanta. It has drastically improved my cars performance and at just a little more cost, far superiour to an OEM unit!
"while you're in there", with the flywheel removed, take a hard look at your rear crankshaft seal. If its leaking, even just a little, remove and replace. At this point of disassembly it takes about 10 minutes. Its a cheap part, will never be easier to replace than at this time, and will save a lot of grief and aggravation down the road. Especially if it starts spewing engine oil all over your new clutch!
Also, clean out all the "red dust" and "asbestos dust" from the bell housing (the area on the transmission where the clutch resides). Don't use compressed air and don't breath that crap into your lungs. Its nasty shit. Use carb cleaner, brake cleaner, or some mineral spirits and a stiff brush.
If you decide to use your old flywheel, make sure you have it resurfaced. Your local machine shop will do it for about $30.00. DON'T SKIP THIS STEP! Your new clutch should come with the proper dimensions for flywheel resurfacing.
Above all, take your time. Make sure you know what you're doing. If you don't, get some help. At the very least, have a good manual close by and FOLLOW IT!
Don't listen to these clowns who say, "yeah, I can change that clutch in 2.5 hrs with a pair of plyers and a hammer......and the car runs fine....waddya mean resurface the flywheel?"
Make sure you have all the parts you need, befor you start the job. Do it right and do it once. Oh yeah, make sure you follow the clutch mfg recommended break-in procedures. You'll be rewarded with renewed vehicle performance and trouble-free service for a long time to come. Be safe.

thanks very much for that information.by the way my car is a 94 civic eg9 b16a2.do u know anybody that will be able to ship me out a new clutch like the one you got a clucthmasters one from america any authorized shop willing to send to the uk??? <_<

Back