1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clutches and Gearing

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by n1mr0d, Jul 31, 2005.

1. n1mr0d

n1mr0d Senior Member

I am pulling my transmission to replace my clutch and change some gears. I currently run a JDM GSR with a fully built head. Much other then that, the engine is stock.

I will be running boost eventually so I am building this with high power production in mind. I would like your thoughts on the kind of clutch that should be used for the application. I was thinking in the 400hp range. It will and is a daily driver. I was thinking of a Clutch Masters Twin Disc, the Exedy Twin Disc, or possibly an Action Clutch (because I have read many boosted Honda's really like them). No cermanics.

Also as for gearing. I am debating the issue of getting the JDM Type R final drive of 4.785 as opposed to my current 4.40 and changing some of the gears, such as:

changing 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears to the Type R gearing and use and LS 5th gear for crusing. But then I am concerned about shifting from 4th to 5th and not having the power to pull on a car. I know I will not be going that fast that often and it would be great for gas milage but I would like the ability to continue to pull. Suggestions?

2. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

i am a big fan of ACT clutches
    and i wouldnt bother fucking with the gearing at all... if you dont already have an LSD, then get one... other than that you will be fine

3. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

:werd:

Stay with the 4.4 FD if you're going with boost, then beef up the differential by swapping it out with a good aftermarket LSD and you'll be fine.

ACT = :thumbsup:

4. n1mr0d

n1mr0d Senior Member

I already have a Quaife LSD installed. I like it a lot. I'm have grown sour to the ACT line.

First because I was rolling along and shifted into 5th (not fast or abussive) and the diaphram popped which made me loose control of clutching and tore up my trans. That's when I pulled the clutch out and sent it back to ACT. They sent me a new one and at the same time I had the trans rebuilt and the Quaife installed. Second this time of no fault of ACT's I over reved the engine (causing me to rebuild the head) to 9.5k and the clutch disc cracked. My friend whom runs a boosted civic has cracked two of ACT's clutch discs also. I know it has a lot to do with shifting and driving style but we are not what I would say "abusive" and/or unable to properly shift.

Thats why I'm looking for other options. That and I didn't think a single disc would hold that kind of power.

As for gearing, it was suggested by Geoff at Full-Race to use the 4.40 final drive, keep the GSR 1st & 2nd gears, use the B16's 3rd & 4th and the LS's 5th gear for crusin.

Any other thoughts?

5. phunky.buddha

You could do that with the gearing if you really wanted to- but I actually use 5th gear while racing. I wouldn't put in an LS 5th.

Sorry to hear about your ACT experiences. I drive the hell out of mine and have never had a problem.

6. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

:withstupid:
    sounds like improper instalation

7. phunky.buddha

8. sohcslammer

sohcslammer Senior Member

The peanut gallery agrees. :)

9. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

the comment gallery agrees as well.