Clutches and Gearing

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

n1mr0d

I am pulling my transmission to replace my clutch and change some gears. I currently run a JDM GSR with a fully built head. Much other then that, the engine is stock.

I will be running boost eventually so I am building this with high power production in mind. I would like your thoughts on the kind of clutch that should be used for the application. I was thinking in the 400hp range. It will and is a daily driver. I was thinking of a Clutch Masters Twin Disc, the Exedy Twin Disc, or possibly an Action Clutch (because I have read many boosted Honda's really like them). No cermanics.

Also as for gearing. I am debating the issue of getting the JDM Type R final drive of 4.785 as opposed to my current 4.40 and changing some of the gears, such as:

changing 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears to the Type R gearing and use and LS 5th gear for crusing. But then I am concerned about shifting from 4th to 5th and not having the power to pull on a car. I know I will not be going that fast that often and it would be great for gas milage but I would like the ability to continue to pull. Suggestions?

i am a big fan of ACT clutches
and i wouldnt bother fucking with the gearing at all... if you dont already have an LSD, then get one... other than that you will be fine

:werd:

Stay with the 4.4 FD if you're going with boost, then beef up the differential by swapping it out with a good aftermarket LSD and you'll be fine.

ACT = :thumbsup:

I already have a Quaife LSD installed. I like it a lot. I'm have grown sour to the ACT line.

First because I was rolling along and shifted into 5th (not fast or abussive) and the diaphram popped which made me loose control of clutching and tore up my trans. That's when I pulled the clutch out and sent it back to ACT. They sent me a new one and at the same time I had the trans rebuilt and the Quaife installed. Second this time of no fault of ACT's I over reved the engine (causing me to rebuild the head) to 9.5k and the clutch disc cracked. My friend whom runs a boosted civic has cracked two of ACT's clutch discs also. I know it has a lot to do with shifting and driving style but we are not what I would say "abusive" and/or unable to properly shift.

Thats why I'm looking for other options. That and I didn't think a single disc would hold that kind of power.

As for gearing, it was suggested by Geoff at Full-Race to use the 4.40 final drive, keep the GSR 1st & 2nd gears, use the B16's 3rd & 4th and the LS's 5th gear for crusin.

Any other thoughts?

You could do that with the gearing if you really wanted to- but I actually use 5th gear while racing. I wouldn't put in an LS 5th.

Sorry to hear about your ACT experiences. I drive the hell out of mine and have never had a problem.

Originally posted by Calesta+Jul 31 2005, 06:25 PM-->
You could do that with the gearing if you really wanted to- but I actually use 5th gear while racing. I wouldn't put in an LS 5th.
[post=533682]Quoted post[/post]​

:withstupid:

Calesta
@Jul 31 2005, 06:25 PM
Sorry to hear about your ACT experiences. I drive the hell out of mine and have never had a problem.
[post=533682]Quoted post[/post]​

:withstupid:
sounds like improper instalation

Back