co-workers of mine made petition for higher wages

was i right in not signing the petition for higher wages due to price of gas?

• yes, you did a right thing

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • no, shoulda signed it to get more money

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BodyDroppedNikes

...PENDEJO....
VIP
today at work a few co-workers of mine made a petition to give us employees a raise because of the recent rise in gas prices. well i didnt sign it and neither did 2 others i know of (there may have been more who didnt as well but i dunno) because we didnt think it was a good idea to do something like that because it just seemed wrong to do. sure, making more money would be great but i think it was wrong to make a petition to ask for it. i think raises should be earned in all honesty. anyways, was i right to not sign it?

50% of people will ask for a raise, the other 50% think it should be earned
usually when those people ask, they get a raise because the boss knows he's getting a deal

if you work for a big company you should have asked for the raise

every time fuel prices spike every company that can will take advantage by passing the buck
UPS, fedex, basically any company that uses fuel in any stage of its business process will add a surcharge for fuel, yet they never give their employees an increase in pay for their increased costs...

As long as the raise is fair, ie your not already getting paid $20 an hour to screw heads on dolls. Then I would say ok.

i'd say you're right in not signing it.

if you want a raise, go in on your own time and have a sit-down with your boss.

the gas prices went up about a dollar in a year, the electrical company raised it's fee's by %50 this year, the mill rates for a CT house is also going up 1.6%, I did the math...and my raise is only .04% every 16 weeks, and 4% every 4 years. Everyone right now is scrambling to get green cars and better mpg's...but it's not going to help any. Math wise that is. Most newer green cars are in the 14-39K's range....and then you got to sell or trade in the old beater. the money is not going to be saved at all, but wasted. spend 300% more for a new car...or just add a tad bit more cash to commute.

I calculated the other day that I'm sucking down about $4-5Ks in gas a year for a 30 mile commute...raise the gas and it may goto 5-6...

Then I also calculated that interest on the new car, exuberant prices for the car, and the blandness of the green car is not worth it....so I'll stick to what I drive for right now, but this summer I might be buying a new Subaru or a Fit...I just want reliability and something new for a change.

and a side note...one of the oil companies that we sell helicopters to, has an S70 that hit 30,000 flight hours... now thats about 3.4 years completely airborne:ph34r:

/drubk rant

you were 100% right in not signing it. heres why.

when a company has an increased cost (such as higher wages) hours and employees are inversely cut to meet the same overall cost basis. that means, they might pay $100k in salary every month for 50 people. so there is $2k/mo average. now if they have to pay $120k in salary every month because of raises, they will cut back 10 people so it levels back out to $100k in salary paid out. and now each employee gets that raise they wanted. they get $2500/month.

now, heres where you come in. if there are 50% of the people who signed it, i would bet there are 25 people on the chopping block now. obviously the ones who signed it. you proved your loyalty and you will be rewarded.

Back