coax only surge supressor

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

most cable these days is rated at 3000MHz. The color on the inside of the male connector on the ground block needs to not be clear. Blue is the most common color for high frequency rated ground blocks.

Cable internet still runs at a lower frequency, generally speaking it doesn't exceed 1000MHz. Satellite tv signals run up as high as 2850 MHz between dish and set top box. Most of those surge protectors with the coax cause more problems than they save. I wouldn't bother.

Even a properly grounded cable or satellite system will be overwhelmed by a lightning strike.

keep in mind both of those are only rated to 1000MHz.

i foresee some signal quality issues with these things in the loop.

cable tv doesn't exceed 1GHz.

Look up DOCSIS 3.0 NA and CableCard NA (he's got comcast.)

what was it rated for? (joules) was it a hit on the house, or on the wires itself

Not sure of the rating on the surge.

The lightning struck the porch/foyer. Inside of the foyer is the living room. Blew out the TV in the living room, ran down the wall into the basement, blew out the modem, washer/dryer, and possibly the furnace (I haven't heard back if they had gotten it started).

sounds like it blew it all out via power lines. not coax.

Understood. My point wasn't that coax has a propensity to blow out, my point was, with a direct strike, most home rated surge protectors aren't going to do jack.

It split the dry wall wide open, shifted the door frame a quarter inch, blew the shutter off the side of the house, cut a 2 inch wide hole in some shingles, and blew other shingles off of the house, along with frying a good handful of electrical things. Took out the laser mouse that was on the surge protector at the other end of the house.

Don't sweat the small stuff. You're better off paying the extra $50-$100 a year to carry a low deductible on your homeowners policy. Some policies allow a $50 or $100 deductible.

That's likely where my parents will lose because mom equates cheap with good, so she likely bought the cheapest, shittiest insurance coverage.

99.9% of all surge protectors are a power strip with a varister attached. A varister goes down in resistance with an increase in voltage (ie a power surge). It shorts itself out when it sees a voltage spike. You can technically make one for a few pennies. The fancy protectors add bandpass filters and some higher power ratings.

Now as others have said, *nothing* protects against lightning. The voltage in a lightning strike is high enough to make a maple tree conduct like a piece of copper wire. You think a dinky power strip is going to hold up against that???

Back