code 43

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Hey i have a 93 EX with a d16y7 in it. (i bought it like that) well, every now and then on the highway, the CEL comes on, and my engine boggs down a lot. its very hard to accelerate when its on. I have to turn tha car off, then back on. Well, i found out that CEL 43 is the Fuel Supply System defective or malfunctioning fuel supply system. someone on d-series.org has the same setup, and is having the same problems. he said he changed his fuel pump, filter, and injectors. I've only cleaned my injectors. We were thinking it was our ECUs, hes tried a few of his friends different ecus (p28, jdm p72, and skunk 2 b18c ecu). he still has gotten the code. anyone have any ideas?
thanx,
joe

did you try to replace your fuel pump and fuel filter? and what ecu is in there?

im going to replace the fuel filter pretty soon..another guy who has this problem on d-series.org said he replaced his pump, filter, and injectors but is still having the same problem. I'm running a p06 on a d16y7.

i was told awhile back in a forum which i dont remember cuz i posted this in a couple of places and did'nt get many answers but once someone told me it was my o2 senser that was giving me that code. but i need a concrete answer cuz i dont have the money to troubleshoot by changing parts. and my o2 sensor is that old eithier.

let me know if it helps changing ur fuel filter.

hey,..i posted this thread on d-series.org too. A guy told me he had this same problem a while back. He said he had a cheap o2 sensor from a cheap parts store...he then replaced it wit an OEM o2 sensor when he replaced his exhaust manifold. He said that cured his code. He told me to only buy OEM 02 sensors.

Another guy said that it was his fuel pressure. It was only at 29 psi, it was because of a bad fuel regulator, he replaced that and adjusted his fuel pressure and that fixed his code.

The things relating to this code are fuel pump, filter, injectors, regulator, o2 sensor, and even fuel rail. My air/fuel ratio guage is tellin me i'm running very very lean..so im goin to check out my fuel pressure and regulator. If that is not the problem, I'll most likely get a new o2 sensor eventually. I'll change my fuel filter once i change my o2 sensor.

I was getting a code 43 on my civic last month. I came to find out that it is usually not something that throwing parts at will fix. I tried changing all the usual fuel stuff that people mention as well as changed the o2 sensor and that did nothing as well. Are you just getting the code or is your engine running shitty since the code has come up?

Ben

Originally posted by jastunna1987@Nov 28 2004, 03:08 PM

The things relating to this code are fuel pump, filter, injectors, regulator, o2 sensor, and even fuel rail.
[post=423237]Quoted post[/post]​

that pretty much sums it up, however, chances are if it's related to your o2 sensor, you'll be getting tha code as well, so it's more than likely something simple, especially if you haven't changed your filter lately.

Unplug your o2 in the engine bay. The CEL will stay on but see if the bogging continues. Your car will run fine with it unplugged, the ECU has a set parameter it will cylcle through when its not plugged in.

IM guessing its your o2 sensor b/c i used to have the same problem.

hey...i replaced my filter. Well, the car runs 10 times smoother, and i was able to drive it at 40 mph in 5th gear, somethin i was never able to do before w/o the CEL comin on. Well, im goin to continue drivin it for a while and see what happens. I'll keep you guys posted, if it does come on again, i'll check the 02 sensor.
thanks for your help

lswhitecivic: When my CEL did come on,...yes, my car did run very shitty. It was hard for me to accelerate, and it cost me a couple of races. But so far, its all good..i'll keep you posted.

BTW what have you replaced pertaining to the fuel system? ie. filter, pump, injectors, etc?

i have code 43 sometimes on my obd1 too. but when i turn the engine off and turn it right back on, the code is gone. but the code doesnt always go on, only when i blast the heater to warm the car up. other than that i hardly get the code. weird thing is that the car kinda smell like gas with the heater on. so im driving around without heat in 30 degrees weather.

well, i think your code is directed to the fuel system. Code 43 does mean faulty fuel system or somethin..but some of us over at d-series.org have the code, but a couple of the guys replaced the whole fuel system..pump, filter, injectors, rail, etc..and they are still getting the code. So we think its something a lil more complicated. You may have a leak somewhere under your hood. Check around the filter and around the rail. If your blasting your heater up, its sucking some of the gas vapors from under the hood. Close the circulation in the cabin, and blast the heat up, and drive around. If you dont smell gas, then you most likely have a leak under your hood.

I had replaced the filter, checked the injecters, checked the pump, changed the o2 sensor and that all did nothing. I hooked a scope and saw my water temp sensor was bad. Also my map sensor was working but the throttle body was plugged underneath the map sensor. I replaced the water temp sensor and that made it run a lot smoother but still not right after i cleaned out the throttle body it was running really smooth again.

I would guess that it i probably some sensor that is sending bad reading to the ecu causing fuel problems to compensate. If you can find someone with a reader you should be able to hook it up to the obd plug and see what each sensor is sending to the ecu and then figure out which one is sending bad signals.

Ben

check your vacuum line on the FPR. make sure its tight and hose-clamped on each nipple. a minor vacuum leak can cause all kinds of problems.

Back