Coil on Plug

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jimboburgess

Go fast, Go Cheap
I was looking through old magazines and saw in the nov 2005 issue of honda tuning ( the one with the 2006civic si preveiw) there is a turbo charged b18b with a coil on plug system as opposed to having a distributor. there is only a picture with a credit to the photographer but no further info. the picture is on the same page as the table of contents. does anyone hafve any more info on this or know anything about where to get a coil on plug ignition for a honda?

Don't know about that specific engine, but there are guys CDI boxes to convert to COP setups(AEM and MSD had some but I believe they got recalled or discontinued because I don't see them anymore), and another guy on pgmfi built some sort of circuit that uses CYP sensor reference to fire the individual coils but still use the timing from the ECU.

cool, I know very little about this are there enigne that use them i once knew a guy with a DSM that used them and he made it himself, i'll look around on pgmfi.org but that site intimidate me so much. know anywhere else to find some info?

what are the benefits to COP

Yea, if you are planning on converting you will need to have some sorta EMS that can control each cylinder.

Also in honda tuning they talk about this, its with the destroked B16A into a NEW 7th gen civic...

Alot of late model cars have them, it's nothing special. My girl's 7th gen Civic has them. I'm wondering whether they'll fit other D and B series motors. They run about $50 each coil brand new. It's not hard to set up COP with the AEM EMS. Pretty nice thing to have if you're going forced induction or if you just want to eliminate a whole bunch of maintenance parts (distributer, rotor, plug wires, and never have a coil or ignitor go bad on you).

I actually had a distributerless ignition setup on my old Corolla using a pair of old RX7 coils and an EMS adapted to my motor. Not hard to do at all. That was a misfire setup meaning that there's only two coils but one spark is wasted on the exhaust stroke. I had custom Magnecor wires made to fit the RX7 coil on one end and my Toyota motor on the other end. Only problem with this vs COP was finding a place to mount the coils.

Back