Coil

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

KyleCrews

I was driving home from work a few hours ago on the interstate an got stuck behind 2 semi's riding side by side doing 65 miles an hour in a 70 for about ten miles or so. As soon as one of them got over i floored it. i got up to about 110 or 115 which is somewhere around 5300 rpm and the engine just died so i pulled into the emergency lane and popped the hood. Somehow my coil wire running to the ignition got blown off. When i say blown off i mean that it melted part of the round plastic part of the coil that the wire plugs into and inside the boot of the wire was white and the thing was just laying over to the side. I plugged the wire back in and the car cranked fine and ran fine all the way home(no speeding or hard driving of corse). Just wondering what the hell could cause my coil wire to blow completely off the coil like that. I checked that alternator to make sure it was working right and not surging or anything. Anyone ever heard of this happening before. My car is a '94 prelude. Thanks.

So i guess this means no one has ever heard of this happening either. I'm trying to figure out if something else is wrong with my car that made it do that so i can fix it before my coil ends up blowning up completely.

yeah, i have never heard of that happening. Maybe just need a new coil, maybe new plug wires. Were the wires really old?

Back