1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coilover help needed for a moron (me)

Discussion in 'Wheels / Suspension / Tires / Brakes' started by Civic_Tacoma, May 11, 2004.

1. Civic_Tacoma

Civic_Tacoma Member

I put my coilovers on my shocks, and everything looked right. i installed them, still no problem. I put the car back on the ground and the strut rod is going through the hole into the engine bay. The car is basically sitting on the springs only. I put the threaded body on the strut over the sleeve, then put teh spring on that, then the top "hat" on the spring, and then the strut top plate with the 2 bolts that go into the engine bay, and tightened eveything down. What do I need to do to fix this problem? Thanks.

2. Loco Honkey

Loco Honkey Banned

It's been about four years since I've had a Honda strut apart, but off the top of my head, it sounds like you forgot to reinstall the washer on top of the strut rod. Did you follow the steps in the service manual you should have been using?

3. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

Yip, there's a thick shaped washer that goes under the bushing, and under the hat to keep the piston shaft from coming through. There's seems to be a rash of this happening lately.

4. Civic_Tacoma

Civic_Tacoma Member

ok, I'll find that washer...it has got to be in the covers that were on the strut rods. Thanks for the help. Back to take them apart again.

5. H22AdelSol

H22AdelSol Senior Member

lol i did that when i put my tokicos on, i was like wtf!? There was a piece i installed backwards or not at all.

6. liquid00meth

liquid00meth Senior Member

my tokicos did that also, except it was because the washer supplied by tokico is smaller than the oem piece, just follow the manual.

7. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

The ones supplied by Tokico are for either side of hte bushings in the top hat, it still needs the one shaped to fit the piston shaft.

8. liquid00meth

liquid00meth Senior Member

I thought tokico supplied that also.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted