coilover help needed for a moron (me)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I put my coilovers on my shocks, and everything looked right. i installed them, still no problem. I put the car back on the ground and the strut rod is going through the hole into the engine bay. The car is basically sitting on the springs only. I put the threaded body on the strut over the sleeve, then put teh spring on that, then the top "hat" on the spring, and then the strut top plate with the 2 bolts that go into the engine bay, and tightened eveything down. What do I need to do to fix this problem? Thanks.

It's been about four years since I've had a Honda strut apart, but off the top of my head, it sounds like you forgot to reinstall the washer on top of the strut rod. Did you follow the steps in the service manual you should have been using?

Yip, there's a thick shaped washer that goes under the bushing, and under the hat to keep the piston shaft from coming through. There's seems to be a rash of this happening lately.

ok, I'll find that washer...it has got to be in the covers that were on the strut rods. Thanks for the help. Back to take them apart again.

lol i did that when i put my tokicos on, i was like wtf!? There was a piece i installed backwards or not at all.

my tokicos did that also, except it was because the washer supplied by tokico is smaller than the oem piece, just follow the manual.

Originally posted by liquid00meth@May 12 2004, 05:32 AM
my tokicos did that also, except it was because the washer supplied by tokico is smaller than the oem piece, just follow the manual.

The ones supplied by Tokico are for either side of hte bushings in the top hat, it still needs the one shaped to fit the piston shaft.

Back