Coilover installation problems...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

STitch626!!!!!

STitch!!!!!
I'm installing some coilovers in my honda civic...i went to try and take the top nut off the strut to remove the cap, and the "hex" screw hole got stripped due to corosion on the bolt...now the nut just spins with the rod of the strut and i cant get it off...and helpful hints to get that thing off without having to damage the threads??? any help at all would be VERY Much Appreciated. THanks.

you'd get a lot more help if you posted in the right forum... but to help you out, the best thing you could do right now is to try and hold the shock rod with some vice grips and hit the nut with an impact gun.

That happened to me one time. Get a die grinder and a cutoff wheel. Pretty self-explanatory from there.

you'd get a lot more help if you posted in the right forum... but to help you out, the best thing you could do right now is to try and hold the shock rod with some vice grips and hit the nut with an impact gun.

DO NOT DO THIS. You'll put gouges in the rod and it could destroy your seals if your shock compresses all the way. If you can't find a way to do it yourself, you can probably take it to a shop and have them remove the nut for you. If that doesn't work, try cutting off the nut like someone else suggested.

in my civic I had to use a open hand on the nut and a allen wrench in the middle of the nut to stop it from spinning I dont know if your civic has this if not I just used a impact to break it loose the impact will spin alot faster I dident need to vice grip my strust thats a really bad Idea like Citizen_Insane said

just like dude said. get some vice grips and lock it down from the fendre well side and hit it w/ a impact. also some PB blast works wonders

went through the same issue before. used a powerful air gun and used a vise strip to hold portions of the shocks. be careful if not done correctly will damage shock. all it need is a little tightness to air out the nut. make sure to use wd-40. ghetto, but effective.

Everyone forgot to mention.... Make sure the spring is restrained correctly. If not you have a missle waiting to fly. Your best bet is to vice grip the shock piston and use a impact gun only if you plan to junk the shock.

Back