coilovers or lowering springs?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Jcup315

I am planning on lowering a 94 prelude and i need to know which is better...springs or coilovers. Do you need a camber kit and new shocks with lowering springs b/c i know that you do with coilovers. Give me the pros and cons of each and a personal opinion.

Originally posted by Jcup315@Jul 30 2004, 02:38 AM
I am planning on lowering a 94 prelude and i need to know which is better...springs or coilovers. Do you need a camber kit and new shocks with lowering springs b/c i know that you do with coilovers. Give me the pros and cons of each and a personal opinion.
[post=370253]Quoted post[/post]​

IMO springs have a better ride quality. but i needed the adjustability that coilovers give you, so that's what i got. you will need new shocks that can handle the higher spring rate that both coilovers and springs have. as far as camber kits go, every car is different. my crx cambers to hell but my cousin's CRX is dumped about an inch lower and he doesn't camber at all. 9 times out of 10 you will need a camber kit. Hope this helps.

Hey man,

Unless you can afford a real set of competition coilovers such as Tein, Tanabe, HKS just to name a few, then save yourself the trouble and just get springs. Springs have a much better ride quality than the coilover sleeves and are designed for your specific application, including spring rates. Some reccomended spring companies are Eibach, H&R, and Neuspeed. If you really need adjustability then you mix and match...... The coilover sleeve's have extremely high spring rates to accomodate for altering ride hight. The front springs on a coilover sleeve kit are usually not bad in terms of spring rate, it's the rears that are WAYY to stiff....that's where you see those cars that hit a bump on the road and dont stop bouncing for another 100 yards.... next time you see that, notice where that travel is coming from....the rear. You can have coilovers on the front and springs on the back. This way in winter (if it snow's by you) you can raise up the front a tad for snow, and dump it in the summer. But overall, I would just stick with springs.
In terms of camber, it's a general rule that if you lower your car more than 1.5-1.7" you should definately use a camber kit. But once again, it's all to do with your car.
In terms of new shocks....it depends. If you go for something like the Eibach Pro Kit that only lowers like 1.25", then you'll be safe for a while with your stockers.....If you go with something like the Eibach sportlines that lower 2", then your shocks will die very quick considering they're 10 years old.

Best case senerio......get springs and new shocks, or a matched spring/shock kit. Should give you the results you want if you're on a budget.

Once your first album goes.....aluminum....... get real coilovers.

Back