Coilovers

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

vietec

I would like to lower my car, i am thinking about getting coilovers because its adjustable, this will be my first time doing this so i am kinda undecided on a desired height. I am also on a budget problem, i am a student, i been searching for coilovers on ebay and there are so many to choose from, there are expensive ones and inexpensive they all look the same. my questino is whats the difference? does it matter which kind i buy? I want a reliable coilover that would last me for a long time. Please help thanks

just get a good set of lowering springs and some nice adjustable shocks
youll get a better ride quality and it will cost less

the ONLY advantage adjustable springs (slip on coilovers) have over lowering springs is the ability to corner balance the car... if you dont plan to do this then dont bother

never heard of them
cant find any info on the company or any proof that they are "from the makers tokico"

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Jun 23 2003, 01:13 AM
the ONLY advantage adjustable springs (slip on coilovers) have over lowering springs is the ability to corner balance the car... if you dont plan to do this then dont bother

...and the ability to lower the car to the ground (or very close to it) :D

Originally posted by vietec@Jun 23 2003, 01:18 AM
I am wondering if you guys could take a look at this offer on ebay, it comes with coilovers and shocks.  Is this a good deal? or not worth it
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2420701064

looks like apollo coilovers are known in japan: imoto.com store - suspension page

i dont know if $650 is a good price for those or not, but you can get a set of ground control coilovers for about $450. or a set of eibach springs for around $200.

I found a normal coilovers on ebay for $55. Should i get it, does it matter what brand it is? They all look the same.

yes brand matters very much
theres this thing called quality.... you want a lot of it
the cheap ass ebay coilovers dont have any of it

this is of course unless you dont give a shit how the ride is, or how long they last, or whether the pertches will seize or slip, etc

if you just want to be cool and say you have "coilovers", or if you want to slam your car to the ground... then by all means get whatever the cheapest shit you can find is.... you will never see the benefits of "true coilovers"... or even decent quality slip ons

Go to the www.groupbuycenter.com if you want Ground Control coilover sleeves (supposedly the best sleeve on the market for the money). They are selling for as little as $260. I've heard the ride is bumpier than with springs, but there is that ability to adjust the ride height to your liking, which is why I just ordered some.

If you get coilovers, get ground control or skunk2, not arospeed, apc "no-name" stuff. You pay for what you get. For a more comfortable ride get a spring/shock combo like Neuspeed/KONI. HTH :D

just like everybody else says GO WITH THE GROUND CONTROL COILOVERS AND TOKICO STRUTS. I HAD MAXSPEDD COILOVERS AND THEM DAMN THINGS SUCKED ASS, THEY BLEW OUT MY TOKICO STRUTS ON MY INTEGRA IN A MONTH. I GOT MY GROUND CONTROL AND SOME NEW TOKICO STRUTS AND SHE IS GOOD TO GO NOW. :lol:

I've got Tokico Illumina 5 way adjustable's in the rear of my car, and I just installed Tokico HP "Blue's" in the front. I have Ground Control coilovers, and the ride is nice and stiff. With the addition of the blues in the front, my car should handle like it's on rails.

Originally posted by RV1TOOMANY@Jun 23 2003, 04:04 PM
just like everybody else says GO WITH THE GROUND CONTROL COILOVERS AND TOKICO STRUTS. I HAD MAXSPEDD COILOVERS AND THEM DAMN THINGS SUCKED ASS, THEY BLEW OUT MY TOKICO STRUTS ON MY INTEGRA IN A MONTH. I GOT MY GROUND CONTROL AND SOME NEW TOKICO STRUTS AND SHE IS GOOD TO GO NOW. :lol:

Nooooo...I got teg maxspeed coil-overs and tokico hp's in the front (doing the rear tomorrow) on my 94 civic hb, and your sayin that. I was already skeptical about tokico hp's cuz I know a lot of people who blow those shocks really fast. I'm noticing a pattern though, it seems like everyone that it happened to used coil-overs. I'm thinking about switching to springs.

Does anyone use the factory dust-covers with their aftermarket shocks. I know tokico says it voids the warranty if you dont use them but my factory's were taking off cuz other coil-overs that were installed which messed them up and didnt fit. Am I suppose to use factory dust covers? If not, what do I use/where do i buy or has anyone just didn't use the dust covers W/ tokicos for long time didnt need them?

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Jun 23 2003, 01:13 AM
just get a good set of lowering springs and some nice adjustable shocks
youll get a better ride quality and it will cost less

I was from the same school of thought, but did experience own me.

I have a koni adjustables and skunk2 lowering springs on my civic, I'm not inventing the wheel or anything, but it's a nice improvment. The car is lower, it handles better, the shocks did a nice job of stiffing up my suspension (not to mention lowerings springs with stock shocks is a nono), but I just felt cheated. I have since learned that lowering your front end a little more then your rear will allow more weight to stay on the front tires. In this rare instance, more wieght equals more power. That being said I'm going to buy some coilovers soon.

So corner balance isn't the ONLY advantage, but it's all in what you want

Originally posted by nbn22385@Jul 13 2003, 03:09 PM
more wieght equals more power

Really?? :huh:

on the front. your car is front wheel drive, unless of course its an s2000, and on that note you want to keep the front of your car on the ground so you can maintain traction and move, weight is the answer, the heavier the front end is the more time itll spend on the ground, and when the wheels are turning, your car will be moving.

in conclusion, yes, you want a lightweight car, but theres no such thing as weightless, therefore, the weight you require, keep it off the back and on the front.

update here.... as for sleeve coils, Ground Controls seem to be the only setup that uses any sort of "better" technology. Skunk2, ractive, blah blah prety much all come from the same sweatshop. If your buying skunks etc for much more money and thinking your getting a better system, your wrong. GCs the best, ractive etc in the middle. The only real ones to avoid like the plague are like dropzone and APC.

Back