1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coin Collecting

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by dveit, May 29, 2009.

1. dveit

dveit Well-Known Member VIP

I know there is another thread with this exact title by corvetteguy but I didn't want to revive an old thread.

So I want to start investing in coin collecting, as it seems like a good investment considering the rise of silver and gold. However, I have absolutely NO previous knowledge in coin collecting. I've been browsing SavingsTalk.com, U.S. Mint Online Product Catalog, Coin Talk, and Silver, Silver Bar, Silver Bars, Silver Bullion, Gold and More - APMEX.com. I have become more familiar with the grading scale, and the different kinds of conditions proof and mint, but it's still all a little hazy.

What I want to know is what would be a good initial purchase as an investment? What are the good sets available from the US Mint currently? At this time, I'm looking to spend a few hundred dollars maybe $300-400, so something like that Ultra High Relief Double Eagle Gold Coin is out of the question (although probably a great investment).

I was thinking about purchasing 2-3 of these:

U.S. Mint Online Product Catalog

I know B and some of you others are big into coins -- thoughts and advise for a new collector?

2. Briansol

Briansol Admins Admin VIP

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted