Coin Collecting

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dveit

VIP
I know there is another thread with this exact title by corvetteguy but I didn't want to revive an old thread.

So I want to start investing in coin collecting, as it seems like a good investment considering the rise of silver and gold. However, I have absolutely NO previous knowledge in coin collecting. I've been browsing SavingsTalk.com, U.S. Mint Online Product Catalog, Coin Talk, and Silver, Silver Bar, Silver Bars, Silver Bullion, Gold and More - APMEX.com. I have become more familiar with the grading scale, and the different kinds of conditions proof and mint, but it's still all a little hazy.

What I want to know is what would be a good initial purchase as an investment? What are the good sets available from the US Mint currently? At this time, I'm looking to spend a few hundred dollars maybe $300-400, so something like that Ultra High Relief Double Eagle Gold Coin is out of the question (although probably a great investment).

I was thinking about purchasing 2-3 of these:

U.S. Mint Online Product Catalog

I know B and some of you others are big into coins -- thoughts and advise for a new collector?

Back