Cold Air Intake

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

truoss

I have a GSR engine in my 94 civic hatchback. Which intake works the best? There are several on Ebay for around $20, are they any good?

Opinions please =)

You get what you pay for.

Although, any decent size tube that brings in cold air from the outside of the engine bay should be alright. Ive heard good things about the AEM cai that has one tube inside another. I forget what its called though.

There has been several cai known to work really well, AEM, Injen.. etc..

My buddie bought an ebay intake, and it worked really well, He was very happy with it.. (he had a 92 civic cx with a gsr)

JDMPlaya, by 'ebay intake,' do you mean the $20 items? There are some AEM intakes on ebay as well, but they are sooo much more expansive. I don't need the best, I just need something that will work well.

All I can say is, be sure to get the air bypass valve or don't get a cai at all! Trust me, you don't want to learn this the hard way.

the comptech ice box is great ... but if you dont want to spend a lot its not for you

just get a cheap ass ebay intake and replace the filter with a K&N one
then if you want get some ceramic heat resistant paint and spray it inside and out .... better than AEM :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info. E SolSi's idea sounds good....

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Jan 18 2004, 04:57 AM
the comptech ice box is great ... but if you dont want to spend a lot its not for you

just get a cheap ass ebay intake and replace the filter with a K&N one
then if you want get some ceramic heat resistant paint and spray it inside and out .... better than AEM :thumbsup:

Thats is basicly what I did except instead of ceramic paint, I found some insulation stuff that blocks heat even better. Here is a pic where you can kinda see it (and I have changed to a K&N filter since this.)

s3fd3d34a223a5.jpg

There is a dence foam inbetween the aluminum foil outside, and the intake tube.

It was something that I had laying around, I needed an intake for my swap, so why not. I will eventually go with a comptech Icebox, but until then, this is fine.

header wrap would also work very well
or even better the header wrap with the shiny metal shit on the outside of it

have fun getting the ice box in there ... its a bitch
fuckin thing took me about 2 hours to install

got a pic of what the ice box looks like installed? and what are its features?

JDMPlaya, by 'ebay intake,' do you mean the $20 items? There are some AEM intakes on ebay as well, but they are sooo much more expansive. I don't need the best, I just need something that will work well.

yea the $20 ones :) Believe it or not..

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Jan 18 2004, 01:48 PM
got a pic of what the ice box looks like installed? and what are its features?

20.JPG

basicly its a large bore short ram intake with a high flow filter that goes into a modified air box with a LARGE snorkel that drops down to the front corner where a normal CAI puts the filter

the filter stays up high in the engine bay enclosed in the box safe from water and shit
it still gets all the cold air that a normal CAI would
it WILL NOT suck up water
comptech tests it at a vacum load i believe 3x higher than an ITR makes at WOT and it still wont suck up water
it is also very quiet... it doesnt make the cheesy "BWAAAAAAAAAA" sound most intakes make... its quieter than a stock air box with the resonator removed

ESolSI, what a nice engine bay...wow. So clean. I hope my civic will look half as pretty when I am finished. Good job!

thanks ... but thats not mine .... just a pic i found .... i have a black del sol :)

Oh okay, sorry. Still like the pic. =P
Do you have a picture of your black del sol?

Back