1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cold Fuel... More Power?

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by utn, Feb 1, 2005.

1. utn

utn Member

My uncle and I got to talking last month about cars and what not and he started telling me about the ol' days when he and his pals were causin trouble with their Cutlass 442s and GTOs back in the 70s (and flipping their Ford Pinto :p ) . He told me that what they used to do is coil up a fuel line around a pack of ice, making the fuel colder and therefore increasing horsepower. I didn't think much of it at the time but I thought if you got your fuel too cold that it wouldn't burn easy and decrease the power. So does anyone think that by doing this you would lower the fuel just enough to get more power out of it or what? What are your thoughts about this?

Just curious,
    Scott

2. cycloneb18c3

cycloneb18c3 Senior Member

3. utn

utn Member

... but does it work? <_<

4. Bl6CRX

Bl6CRX Senior Member

One of my friends tried it a couple years ago with dry ice cooling the fuel line and we noticed no difference.

5. CRX-YEM

CRX-YEM Super Moderator Moderator VIP

I don't think Cooling the fuel actually increased horsepower I believe it was a trick to prevent detonation. so you could run a low octane gas on a really high compression motor like 13.5:1, so if the fuel is coolier cylinder temperatures are lower.

6. projectxspeed

projectxspeed Senior Member

CRX idea makes more sense. I really don't see how cooling the fuel would net you higher HP. Now, if you'll excuse my stickers just arrive, and I want to go slap 20 more hp on my civic.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted