cold idle problem 90 teg

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

boost_me

honda4life
this is about to drive me crazy when i start the car cold it revs up between 2000 and 2500rps then its just up and down i dont think its the iac valve cause it idles fine when its at operating temp.... so any help would be great cause i have no clue :confused:

My Accord does tha same kuz its carburated. It sounds normal (I think) lol. Does it do it when its warm weather and tha engines cold?

well the car is fi but it only does it when its cold out side and i start it cold i have checked the iac its fine i dont know what it is ill just have to keep traceing it till i find the problem

Mines does it too, it starts and and holds an idle of 2000 +/- rpm and slowly moves down as it warms up. Honestly i never really thought of it as a problem. I always thought it was just programmed into the ECU to warm the car up faster?

Check the FITV I think it's on the TB. It controls cold idle and won't throw a cel. FITV = something Idle Thermal Valve.

iacv forsale..

this is about to drive me crazy when i start the car cold it revs up between 2000 and 2500rps then its just up and down i dont think its the iac valve cause it idles fine when its at operating temp.... so any help would be great cause i have no clue :confused:
yea man you need a iacv i have 2.. these are no cheaper anywhere new then 160.00.. i have 2, 50 bucks plus shipping.. let me know.. im in ky trust me this will fix your ride

Don't listen to the guy above me. You can find a brand new iacv for your car on ebay for $20-30 + S&H that's what I bought mine for. And I really don't think it's your iacv if you're idling find at normal operating temp. Sounds a lot more like your FITV, which controls the cold idle until operating temp, then the IACV takes over.

Last edited:
I agree with 93civicracer.. try replacing the FITV with a good one... maybe one ur boys could lend u one to check... also try adjusting the idle screw on the TB.. there might be too much air going into the TB and that could be why its idling at 2500rpm... it shouldt idle that high even when is cold!!!

Before you buy the FITV, take it off, clean it out, and make sure that the plastic valve housing in the case is screwed in all of the way. Over time, this comes unscrewed and messes up the idle. Spray out the IACV with some carb cleaner while you're at it as well.

check the vacuum line that goes into the front of the intake manifold. I had the same problem and just getting a new hose cured that problem.

you can also try bleeding you cooling system. i had the same problem with my motor. I cleaned the IACV and the FITV and bleed the cooling system. It fixed my idle problem

hey here is a thought....... check your coolant level ;) seriously its one of the easiest and yet cheapest thing to do.... the motor is surging due to low coolant

Back