Cold? Starting problem??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

VTECin5th

Administrator
Hmm, so I'm having some starting problems, it might be on warm starts too, but i don't drive my car in the day, only at night.
When i start it, it will turn over and start almost, then it falls on it's face and acts like a stall, but then when i start it again, it starts up fine.
It's only stalled all the way 3 times so far, usually it just kinda stutters for a second.
I have new plugs/cap/rotor/battery.
Haven't replaced: Plug wires (i couldn't find them) .. fuel filter's been about a year i guess :cry:
It kinda seems like a FP problem, but everything runs fine after it's started.
No CELs. No other hesitation or weird lil bugs.
I guess it could be alot of different things, so I'll just ask for suggestions on things to check>??
Thanks.

Omg I got the same problem but on hot idles only. it would vibrate at low rpm then cut out. but it wont cut out all the time just go low then come back up to 500 or 600 rpm. no CELS, no tps or IACv problems. im gonna try the ngk plugs because my deno iridiums are prolly causing that. and when it cuts out it starts right back up also. :dry:

Quoted post[/post]]
Omg I got the same problem but on hot idles only. it would vibrate at low rpm then cut out. but it wont cut out all the time just go low then come back up to 500 or 600 rpm. no CELS, no tps or IACv problems. im gonna try the ngk plugs because my deno iridiums are prolly causing that. and when it cuts out it starts right back up also. :dry:
Mine does the same, but i think its because of my skunk2 im, it doesnt use the one iacv? i believe, or the coolant thing that mounts to the passenger side of the intake manifold.

Quoted post[/post]]
... but when mine is running, it runs perfect, only having like a one-time per start hesitation.
It seems to be fine if i start it a bunch of times in the same hour, but when i go hours without driving it, then start it seems to hesitate and occasionally stall, then all is good. :confused:

Sounds like a fuel pump problem. Maybe you got a bad batch of gas? Mine did it to but it was just on like hot startups I changed my main relay and that was fixed then before I stored it, the cold starts didn't want to really start...I gave up and im just gonna flush my whole fuel system and run braided lines lol.

Quoted post[/post]]
Sounds like a fuel pump problem. Maybe you got a bad batch of gas? Mine did it to but it was just on like hot startups I changed my main relay and that was fixed then before I stored it, the cold starts didn't want to really start...I gave up and im just gonna flush my whole fuel system and run braided lines lol.
Yea, i was kinda thinking it might be the pump or fpr and hopefully just filter... i don't really feel like replacing the fuel pump :cry:
I guess I'll start with the cheapest one first

the fuel pump is cake to replace. 15 min job... the hardest part is getting out the rear seat.

on the weekend or sometime where you can cold-start it in the day time, see what happens.

if it still does it, then i'd say you have a fuel problem.

if you don't, i'd say its something to do with the iacv pulse width. your chip has it in the stock location though, so it should be fine...

Quoted post[/post]]
the fuel pump is cake to replace. 15 min job... the hardest part is getting out the rear seat.

on the weekend or sometime where you can cold-start it in the day time, see what happens.

if it still does it, then i'd say you have a fuel problem.

if you don't, i'd say its something to do with the iacv pulse width. your chip has it in the stock location though, so it should be fine...
Well i guess my mom said it happened to her in the day time, so i guess it's all the time.
It happened to me again when i was leaving work this morning.
My rear seat is half way falling out.. GSR :laugh:
I'm not worried about replacing it being hard, i've done em, im worried about spending money during xmas time.
:mad:
I think I'll try finding a FPR and change that along with my fuel filter.
Then on to the pump if those don't work.
IACV pulse width... hmm :ph34r:

If it was the fuel pump it would run bad all the time due to low fuel pressure caused by a weak FP and it wouldn't recover. Fuel pumps don't usually give and warning when they fail, they just stop working.

I'd check the fuel filter, or for a small leak thats sucking air into the fuel lines somewhere between the tank and the engine.

Chet.

Quoted post[/post]]
If it was the fuel pump it would run bad all the time due to low fuel pressure caused by a weak FP and it wouldn't recover. Fuel pumps don't usually give and warning when they fail, they just stop working.

I'd check the fuel filter, or for a small leak thats sucking air into the fuel lines somewhere between the tank and the engine.

Chet.
thanks...?
:laugh:
Imma do the filter before i leave next week.
:wink:

I'd recommend putting some Fuel Injector cleaner inside because the fuel rail may be clogged and bot enough fuel is getting to the injectors and that's why it is stalling.

I've been having the same problem since it started to get cold out. It will fire up to about 1000+RPMs then just shut off as quick as it started. Turn it over again, and it will be fine.

I have lived with it thus far. Everyonce in a while on really cold days, I will try and turn it over and the engine just spins and spins. I let of then try again and it fires right up. Kinda weird. I am going to try to run some fuel system cleaner through it (even though I think most additives are worthless) we will see

Back