Cold starts no more!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Rdog

Well I have a jdm b16a and it doesn't have a coolant heater. And I live in the dead center of the Canadian prairies. (In an Igloo of course) I'm wondering if anyone else has to deal with -40 degree celcius temperatures. And how does your engine like starting up when its that cold? Mine has always started up these last 2 years but this year I want to install a coolant heater. I'm thinking of intalling it in the heater hose or the bottom rad hose. Any suggestions? and if I install it in the lower rad hose will the water circulate or will the thermostat keep the water from circulating? thanks

There is one that replaces your dip stick and keeps your oil warm.. No idea where to get it, but I know they exist.

I live in Texas. I know nothing of this "cold" business.

My car has hit minus -40, and its fired up just fine. I have a deepcycle battery so I dunno if that helps. Two years ago during that really bad winter in Ontario, my fucking 1993 civic was the only car on the block that started at -37. I woke up to my car firing up, thinking somebody was stealing it I run downstairs to find my dad boosting his 300 with my car. Epic!

Final note, i don't think a coolant heater will help much, maybe a engine block heater? Anybody else chime in?

i would this a block heater would be a better idea. i have one on my diesel and use it when it get anywere near freezing

I know diesels have these magnet type things when you can stick them to you oil pan and plug them in to a standard 110 outlet and they keep the engine oil warm. The only other thing I can say to really help keep your car in better shape to starting up in winters. Keep it in the garage with a space heater?

I have a JDM B16 in my civic and i just put a block heater from canadian tire and have never had problems starting. and I'm from winnipeg!

My car has hit minus -40, and its fired up just fine. I have a deepcycle battery so I dunno if that helps. Two years ago during that really bad winter in Ontario, my fucking 1993 civic was the only car on the block that started at -37. I woke up to my car firing up, thinking somebody was stealing it I run downstairs to find my dad boosting his 300 with my car. Epic!

Final note, i don't think a coolant heater will help much, maybe a engine block heater? Anybody else chime in?

Thanks guys, umm a block heater also just heats the coolant. The only difference is it heats the coolant in the block instead of in the rad hose. My uncle has an inline heater in his jetta diesel and his motor gets warm to the touch. I just bought an inline heater so I'll let ya'll know how it works.

totally forgot about this thread but to keep my promise i'll let you know how my inline heater worked.
IT DIDN'T!! the thermostat didn't let the coolant cycle through my motor:(

Back