Colin's EK Hatch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I've been debating what direction to go in with the car. The car currently isn't my dd, but with gas looming at $3/gallon and climbing, my Maxima is getting expensive. I cant decide whether to do my original goal of a high hp turbo build, or do something else so I can dd it more often. As is, the c5 in the car is burning oil (rings are going), and something is wrong with the clutch. Something needs done.

1. Forged internals on the b18c5 with lots of boost. 375-400whp goal. Would get me 12 mph the way I drive. Lots of power is hella fun. After 2 years @250 whp my old setup started to feel slow...

2. Rebuild the b18c5 as a semi-aggressive N/A build-- higher compressions with bolt-ons and a tune. Stock c5 only got me around 26mpg combined. Super fun to drive. Dead reliable. Still have traction.

3. Ditch the b18c5 and do a gas mileage build. D15z1 (vx motor) with forged interals, 10:1+ compression. Throw on a moderately sized snail for top end power when I need it. 180-200 whp goal. Custom transmission with si/ex 1-3, dx 4th, vx 5th. Not sure on final drive (depends on what trans I start with). Car would be fun to drive up to ~90mph. Fuel economy ????

Option 2. If you go 3, I know a 2000 Si that would make a good home for your C5

i think your choice is solely going to depend on your budget and how fast you want this done

a proper turbo build takes quite a bit of time and consideration, and some fairly deep pockets to do everything right

seeing as you work at honda, im sure you can get some deals on oem parts. there's all your belts, seals, gaskets, etc. build it and have some fun with it. youve already got your maxima to dd. if you do the turbo build right you can still achieve your power goal and actually be semi reliable. hell, i did a couple 300+ mile drives in my hatch after i finished it, no problems

I don't doubt my ability to do any of these builds. I figure that high hp civics are pretty common. It would be a new challenge to make one quick and uber fuel efficient. The only thing that is stopping me is that I already have a b18c-r sitting under the hood.

Well.. for the turbo build, I'd need to basically rebuild the c5 block. It needs a hone, and forged interals. For the turbo kit I'm thinking Peakboost. I've been eying their kits for years, and I know first hand the quality is outstanding. I'd need a better clutch, some bigger injectors, and a tune on the s300.

I think I can land all the turbo stuff for $4k. Remember I've kept things from the s/c build such as the s300, 3" exhaust, gauges, wideband, ect... The motor build I'd try and do mostly myself. Hopefully it only needs a hone. I can handle the assembly. I'm thinking $1000-1200 for the internals, clutch, new gaskets, ect... Tuning should run around $400. Overall, I think I can get 400whp for under $6k.

I could pay for this all right this second. Unfortunately (and fortunately) I bought a house https://hondaswap.com/members-lounge/made-little-aquisition-456558/. I need to get my priorities strait. I cant just go out and spend thousands on car parts in a single day like I used to.

I'm someone who likes to get shit done in an efficient and timely manner. The entire supercharged gsr civic I used to have was done in 3.5 days. Pulled the d15, assembled the gsr with goodies, installed the blower, swapped everything in, and got it street tuned in 3.5 sleep deprived days. I hate the thought of my civic sitting in my garage not running for months at a time.

b18c5 or jdm b18c is just as turbo friendly as any other honda engine
the higher than average static compression obviously makes tuning a little bit more of a challenge (mainly just more critical) but it can be done
you seem like you have your things very well in order
i see this build going places if you decide to do it

Update: I swapped in my Hondata S300 p28 from my old build. I'm runnning stock injectors with a stock type r calibration. I bought a jumper harness from Rywire.com and the thing was literally plug and play. Gotta love that.
I have been thinking of doing this swap in my EGg hatch. Can you tell me more about your engine harness and how/why rywire needed to modify your fuel injector wiring harness? I know your set up is OBD2 but I'm curious what harness was in there when you got it. Was thinking you could use a D16Y8 harness....but I don't know enough yet.

The car is a dx hatch, so the harness I'm using is from the original d16y7. Wires were added for vtec and ran to the ecu. I bought the car with the swap already completed. Basically it was an obd2a car with an obd2a jdm ITR swap. No jumper harnesses were needed. Now I have a hondata s300 socketed p28 ecu. The p28 is obd1, so for me to run it I had to get a jumper harness.

Sorry....when I read it...I saw injectors and rywire. So if your dx harness worked with VTEC wired...A D16Y8 will plug into my Si EGg engine bay plugs and will hook up to an ITR set up.

Do you know about the P28 (in terms of the programing on the chip) and if a mod/program was done (via Hondata) for the fact OBD2 TB doesn't have a FITV and is controlled by the OBD2 ECU?

Sorry....when I read it...I saw injectors and rywire. So if your dx harness worked with VTEC wired...A D16Y8 will plug into my Si EGg engine bay plugs and will hook up to an ITR set up.

Do you know about the P28 (in terms of the programing on the chip) and if a mod/program was done (via Hondata) for the fact OBD2 TB doesn't have a FITV and is controlled by the OBD2 ECU?

You are comparing apples to oranges. My setup is an obd2a motor into an obd2a car using an obd2a harness. I then used a jumper harness at the ECU end so my obd1 ecu will work.

Sounds like you are putting an obd2 motor into an obd1 car. Your best bet is to use the harness that came with your car. It is almost impossible to run a d16y8 (any obd2 civic harness) in your obd1 car. The reason is that civic obd1 harnesses are a 2 piece design. The harness is split in 2 where the large couplers exist on the shock towers. obd2 civics are a 1 piece harness. The harness flows uninterrupted from the engine plugs to the ecu. You cant interchange the two. In short, a d16y8 harness will not work.

In your case I'd just modify the stock harness.

Why is it that OBD2 Integra's clip right in? Like B18B OBD2 will plug right in to my shock tower plugs. I'm guessing its different? I have the D16Z6 and have a good idea how to convert the OBD2 98+spec using my B16A dizzy, alt, and a comparable OBD1 fuel injectors. I could use a B16A2 harness? Thats what a guy at n1concepts told me when I called about a swap price. But if all OBD2 civics are one piece....eff that. Or I could soder away and put my harness to the OBD2 plugs on the ITR JDM harness. Just want to have it all figured out and thought something would be comparable

Sorry, didn't mean to jack your thread.

Back