Color Sanding?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

thiebert

I have looked at a few articles on the internet about how to get rid of the orange peel on my paint job. it looks quite risky and alot of work to do myself. Has anybody else done this before around here? How much does something like this usually cost to have someone do it?

Quoted post[/post]]
I have looked at a few articles on the internet about how to get rid of the orange peel on my paint job. it looks quite risky and alot of work to do myself. Has anybody else done this before around here? How much does something like this usually cost to have someone do it?

If you have clear coat on already you are pretty much SOL. You shoot a few layers of color, then sand, then shoot a few layers of clear, then sand. If they cleared over the orange peel, you're stuck with it unless you want to re-clear the car.

And thats only if you have pretty thick paint. If they did a one coat wonder paint job I wouldn't even try it.

Quoted post[/post]]
I got three coats of colour and 3 coats of clear. Are you sure though? On most of the websites i have read about it on they talk about sanding the clear.
http://www.carcraft.com/howto/926/
anyone else have any experience with this?

my experience with paint is very limited, however; if the color's peel is deeper than your clear is thick, you'll trash the entire paint job.

I've assisted a few "professional" paint jobs (sanding mostly) but never did an entire one myself. Well, I've shot a couple of cars with single coat/no clear.. but that doesn't really count because anyone could do that.

Its not called "colorsanding". Your just trying to remove the orangepeel from the clear right? Depending on how bad it is start with about 1500 and work your way to 3000. do not go any rougher than 1500 though. The more dangerous part is when you buff it. Be very careful not to burn through on the edges. If you have no experiance I would recomend tapeing them off and hand rubbing then. Try to work your way up from the coarser compounds in anout 3 steps depending on product line (can't go wrong with 3m).

Colorsanding is when you sand your basecoat before you clear and is pointless IMO. If your orangepeel in your base is that bad then your doing somthing wrong.

Quoted post[/post]]
Its not called "colorsanding". Your just trying to remove the orangepeel from the clear right? Depending on how bad it is start with about 1500 and work your way to 3000. do not go any rougher than 1500 though. The more dangerous part is when you buff it. Be very careful not to burn through on the edges. If you have no experiance I would recomend tapeing them off and hand rubbing then. Try to work your way up from the coarser compounds in anout 3 steps depending on product line (can't go wrong with 3m).

Colorsanding is when you sand your basecoat before you clear and is pointless IMO. If your orangepeel in your base is that bad then your doing somthing wrong.

My bad i just heard it called that. Thats exactly what i need to do remove the orange peel from the clear coat. What kind of technique do i use when i do it? or do you know a website with some good detailed instructions? i have found a couple but i dont exactly feel comfortable with the little info i have found so far.

1500 grit the car wet then 2000 grit it wet then i use a 3000 grit on a DA sander which u prob dont have if this isnt your proffesion. Anyhow u can buy the 1500 and 2000 grit wet sand paper at your local automotive paint supply store. After this i use 3m perfect it 2 rubbing compound to cut it back to shine and then a 3m perfect it 2 foam pad polishing glaze and it shines like new. If you have 3 coats of clear you should be all set to sand all the orange right out. have fun and good luck and watch those edges with your buffer.

Tape off moldings
Get a water bottle with a squirter on it or a big sponge, add a little dish soap to the water
If you feel something on the piece of paper stop immediately, one piece of dirt or sand can wreck a lot of havok
Get a rubber squeegee (sp?) to clear the surface off to see the progress, a bondo spreader would also work
Be VERY careful on sanding edges and buffing them, don't buff in one spot too long or you'll burn the clear.

That's about all I could think of to add, if you have any more questions shoot me a IM, PM,... whatever or just post on here.

thanx alot guys. i am gonna start on this on the weekend. So i am sure you are gonna here from me. thanx again

basiclly swanny, and driver said it
but 1 tip is do 1 panel or section at a time and use masking tape to mask the edge of the panels your buffing up to it prevents burn through

Back