Compaq Presario 5000

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reckedracing

TTIWWOP
VIP
So my brother has/had a presario 5000 that had a shit load of problems. He told me he had the disks that came with computer, great I'll format and reinstall to fix it. Yea, not so fast.

As some of you probably know the hard drive has 2 partitions, C and D, and D contains all the factory OS and drivers, and the compaq disk just reinstalls from the D drive back to the C drive. Well, my dumb ass isn't used to these wack things, so i formatted both c and d. Now compaq tells me i can't get the quick recovery disk that would reinstall Win98 and all drivers. They tell me to contact microsoft and upgrade to XP.

Does anyone know anywhere, ANYWHERE, i can download the quick recovery disks that would allow me to reinstall the original OS and all drivers?

please help... i kinda fucked his computer up pretty bad...

i can get various drivers direct from compaq...
if i can not get the quick recovery disks can i reinstall regular Win98 and then go from there?
thanks for any help...

just install 98.

compaq drivers are pretty un-propietary. anything that windows doesnt get you should have no problem downloading off the compaq website.

whats the specs on the computer? if its too slow, like slower than p3, there is no point of getting xp. will slow it down even more.

when u called compaq, they couldnt mail you one? but yeah u can reinstall 98 and get the drivers... but the drivers are a pain in the ass to look for if the compaq site doesnt have it.

hey
thanks for the response guys
and thanks for moving it for me, i put it in members lounge cause the computer forum gets less than stellar responses...

i believe all the drivers i will need are readily available on the compaq website...

compaq told me that since microsoft no longer supports windows 98 they will not send me the discs as they are "no longer available"...
bullshit

and i am definately not interested in upgrading the machine to XP, my mom just uses it to play solitare and check her e-mail...
the computer was ROCKED with trojans and such...
i tried to check my e-mail and it wouldn't let me go to any website except the search one for the trojan...

Back