compaq

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

formby

learning in progress
i want to update my pc but i have no idea what to buy
this is what i have(dont laugh)
AMD-k7
698mhz,128MB ram
25.1GB

i dont know whats compatible with my ecu......
i'm tottaly illitarate when it comes to new things.
i also want a new video card
my hardrive is realy loud......
ill take all the help i can get.....i want to spend under 400 bucks...... thanks...... :ph34r:

Its ok we will start with the basics

ecu = cars
cpu = computers

With that out of the way for 400 - 500 you have have a whole new computer.
Sweet.

Here is a really good site to buy parts from they are usually really price competative too. They will even hold your hand like dell through the ordering process. There prices might be $1-10 higher than other, but there customer service is really good; I have used them many times. You need to have a new copy of windows too.

Shoot for this:

athlon xp cpu + cpu cooler
good motherboard (gigabyte, asus, msi, dfi)
(avoid abit/chaintech they do the devils work)
512mb ram either 266mhz or 333mhz
128mb agp video card
case and 350 watt power supply
dvd burner (can be had for under 80 bucks that sooo sweet, you can even take it off jumps)

under 400 bucks is going to be hard....

decent board - 80-100
cpu - 150-200
ddr ram - 50 per 256kb ish (your dimm ram won't work)
100gd hdd - 125
350-400 watt power supply - 35-40
dvd burner - 100

and thats if your case is atx form factor.
if not, add in 50 for a decent case w/ fans.

then, if you don't have windows/something else to put on it, you're going to have to buy that.

just about EVERYTHING will be an improvement over what you have now- so you may be easy to skip on something... maybe only a 60gb hdd for now... or skip the dvd burner for now...
but the power supply, MB, cpu, and ram must all be compatible-- you can't do half now, hlaf later...

Ok- you can have a complete new system (just the box) for $450.17 shipped.

-----

Buy this from Computer Geeks http://www.geeks.com

Chip: Athlon XP 2200+ (Sempron core) (combo link)
Cooler: CPU heat sink / fan (combo link)
Motherboard: Biostar M7VIG mATX KM266+ (combo link)
Fans: 80mm blue LED case fan x2 (link)
Cables: ATA133 cable 2 foot round black x2 (link)

Computer Geeks total = $113.87 + $8 shipping = $121.87

-----

Buy this from Newegg http://www.newegg.com

RAM: Corsair Value Select 512MB PC2700 (link)
Video Card: Sapphire ATi Radeon 9250 128MB 128bit 8xAGP 240GPU/400RAM VGA TV DVI (link)
Hard Drive: Western Digital 80GB 8MB cache 7200rpm (link)
DVD burner: NEC 16x dual layer black IDE (link)
DVD reader: Samsung 16x DVD-ROM black IDE (link)
Floppy: NEC 1.44MB black 3.5" (link)
Case: Rosewill MidTower 4x5.25 2x3.5ext 4x3.5int 350w black (link)

Newegg total = $291.79 + $36.51 shipping = $328.30

-----

Grand total = $450.17 shipped

I don't think that's bad at all for a new box, and that's even with good brand hardware, pretty good performance, extra fans and a black case. You could go a bit cheaper by leaving out the DVD reader, keeping your old hard drive, and buying non-rounded IDE cables, but I think that this setup is worth it for the price.

Nice build, I agree with every but the extra DVD reader. If you hard drive is making as much noise as you say def. replace that thing.

Originally posted by projectxspeed+Feb 4 2005, 12:59 PM-->
Nice build, I agree with every but the extra DVD reader. If you hard drive is making as much noise as you say def. replace that thing.
[post=456463]Quoted post[/post]​

I always like to have a separate reader... but I'm the dork with 4 opticals running all at once in my main system, so what do I know eh? :lol:

formby
@Feb 4 2005, 01:01 PM
wow thanks alot calesta.....
[post=456465]Quoted post[/post]​

You're welcome. If you want the Excel file with all the info in it, just PM me and I'll email it to you .

You could, but you would at least have to replace the board, memory and chip all together. I'd toss the power supply from your old case too, since it's probably getting pretty old.

With this setup, all you would have to buy extra on top would be a monitor, mouse, keyboard and speakers. You can always get those later- or just spend another $150 to get a decent 17" and the mouse/KB/speakers.

when i bought the compaq pc it was 2.5k in (cirquit city) 96 so i have a 20" screen and alteclandsing speakers........ but im just going to buy it all and maybe use the other pc for parts or i'll pawn it .....

Keep your speakers and monitor then, sell the current PC/KB/mouse to someone for $100. It'll help recoup some of the costs for the new box.

i want to thank you for all the time you spent finding these things for me.....thanks

Back