Complete B18C rebuild

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Kilimanjaro

Hi guys, My name is Jeromy. Me and my dad are going to Buy an entire B18C1 this winter and rebuld the whole thing. Well use mostly Oem parts but i will need help on information. Ive been researching te B-Series for a couple days and ive got a semi-clear idea of how i want to build the engine. I plan on using a B16 head (Not sure which one yet, though), probably B18C1 pistons, and B18B1 rods/crank for a little extra stroke. All of the bolts are gonna be replaced with ARP's just for peace of mind. I know we will be replacing all the seals/gaskets but id like a list of all of the seals/gaskets, please? And i plan on getting an EG or EK chassis for the engine/transmission so what ECU should i use?

Im trying to keep the costs minimal but id like to find out what i need to do to this engine.
Thanks for any help :)

Ps: This engine will be a Daily Driver with 1/4Mile racing on the weekends.

How fast do you want it to be?
we cant tell you what to do if all your telling us is your replacing everything.

You will be needing to chip/tune this to do it properly, so you can use any OBD1 VTEC ECU really. P28 or the P72 (GSR) ECU's are most common.

Seals/gaskets you'll need to replace:
Front/Rear main seals
Oil pump O-Ring
Oil pickup gasket
Oil pan gasket
Valve cover gasket
Spark plug hole gaskets
Head gasket
Water pump O-Ring (theres two, one on either side of the tube on the back of the block)
Cam seals
.. bout all I can think of, I'm sure I forgot a few.

While you have the engine tore apart, might as well put a nicer oil pump and water pump in there. Good luck.

Go to honda and order a master engine gasket set. It has everything, all oem honda. great stuff. Don't skimp and go with cheap gaskets and seals!

So if i go to Honda.Com and look for the engine rebuild set, What engine will it be? i mean, will it have the C1 engine in any of the models?

And what ecu will i have to use with the B16 head? Or what head would you guys recommend using?

Keep the GSR head. You wont gain anything from the B16 head. Either way, a P28 or P72 will work.

Ohh. Ive heard that the B16 heads flow better, even though there is a drop in compression due to the larger Cobustion chambers?

Now i know i wanna keep this Engine N/A so should i try to find some ITR pistons? Would they be worth the cost? (I plan on using Mostly Honda parts to keep the costs down)

And will the B18B1 rods and Crank will work with the P28 or P72? or should i keep the C1 rods and Crank?

They flow the same, and the B16 will cause a slight drop in compression.

Are you gunna tune, or is there some reason why you cant?

Well ill have a hard time getting the engine tuned because i live in Oklahoma and I doubt anyone out here can tune it. I sure cant. Unless i can get some sort of Hondata reflash?

Well, the best Honda engine in the world isnt shit without a tune to match. Keep that in mind. If you go changin internals, your gunna need a tune. If you keep it all stock GSR parts, then just use a stock P72 GSR ECU.

Use OEM GSR pumps. Theyll work just fine.

Kk thanks. Any parts i should replace with Non-Oem parts?
i/h/e. if you are going to stay n/a.

rage or smsp header, good intake, solid exhaust. tune tune tune.

maybe get some itr cams down the road. i would use itr pistons on a rebuild though. bump the compression a little bit.

So if i went ahead and got ITR Pistons, could i still use the GSR ecu without a tune? or should i get a Type-R ecu? and if i got the Type-R ecu, Would i have to get Type-R cams?

Im seeing that Tuning is really gonna be a BIG part of this, Hahaha.

Back