Complete B18C rebuild

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

So if i went ahead and got ITR Pistons, could i still use the GSR ecu without a tune? or should i get a Type-R ecu? and if i got the Type-R ecu, Would i have to get Type-R cams?

Im seeing that Tuning is really gonna be a BIG part of this, Hahaha.
uhhh....

no, no, no.

tune the gsr ecu. don't tune until you get your engine built how u want it. a good tune isn't cheap, you don't want to do it twice.

uhhh....

no, no, no.

tune the gsr ecu. don't tune until you get your engine built how u want it. a good tune isn't cheap, you don't want to do it twice.

^ :werd:

And let me put it this way, stock ECU's work for stock engines, all of which are slightly different. Type R pistons and cams in a GSR doesnt give you a Type R, therefore it doesnt justify either ECU over the other. Both would need a tune for that combo.

Okay, since its gonna be tuned, i might as well see what i can get from this engine.

Now, if i want the best head setup i should use the GSR head with the ITR cams? Ive seen cam specs and the ITR cams look better on the exhaust side, while the GSR cams are better for the intake (Well thats how i interpreted the info). Is this true? Or should i just use the ITR's?

And will the GSR valves, valvessprings, and retainers work with the ITR cams? Or will i need the ITR components?

i would just get itr cams and itr pistons. it's not too expensive. it all depends on your budget and hp goals. a 200hp n/a honda kicks ass.

i/h/e, itr pistons and cams, tune. bam 200 usable whp. call it a day and save for lsd.

wait, you haven't bought then engine yet? how much are you looking to spend on the swap?

Well i plan on finding a whole GSR drive train and ive got 2500 set aside. I doubt ill need that much but idk. Im just reaserching so i have a good direction on what im doing, hence all the questions.

ok, well refer to my other post and you will be set and should be within your budget. not much more you can do and you'll have one helluva motor.

yes, if they are in decent condition. but if your going all motor you will probably be shifting at higher rpm's so it would probably be a good idea to replace them
omni power is a good choice, not that expencive

Omni Power Titanium Valve Retainers - B-Series DOHC VTEC Motors: Evasive Motorsports - PH: 626.336.3400, M-F 9am - 5pm PST

Omni Power Dual Valve Springs - B-Series DOHC VTEC Engines: Evasive Motorsports - PH: 626.336.3400, M-F 9am - 5pm PST

Ya if your using a cam with higher lift and longer duration your gunna need a stiffer spring to control the valves better. Omni Power makes quality parts, but thats not your only option.

Back