Completely stumped...wont start

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

B18cSivEK

Okay both the B18c, and the B16a that was originally in the 00 Si ran fine before the swap. I just finished installing the B18c into the 00 Chassis but the motor wont start.

I installed the B16a starter onto my b18c and that seems to be working.
The motor wont turn over and when I check the spark plugs they are slightly covered in fuel. (smelled them) which i assume means im getting fuel.
Im getting spark to the plugs so that cant be it
i had no touble attaching the fuel line si fuel filter and the only things i can think of that i touched is the fuel injector plugs (converted them with obd1 plugs and the colors matched up on the wiring)

any ideas? Im stumped

O yeah I also switched the spark plugs and tried to start it after i blew the fuel out of the head (via removed fuel pump fuse and detached distributor wiring) it made a weird knock sound and smoke came out of my headers that smelled like burning rubber. Thanks

also i read the cel and i got 6 first then a long pause and 10 which means ICT and the ECT.

Any suggestions would be appreciated... im really tired of not having the car running and not to mention frustration which doesnt work well with school :(

Well, if you have strong fuel AND strong CORRECT spark, then the only piece of the not starting puzzle is compression

How do you suppose the compression got messed up? i dont think i tampered with anything more than i had to for the install which consisted of minor things such as headers and alternator?

and recommendations on how to check or fix my compression?

Ive also been getting people telling me it may be my fuel filter or that thing at the end of my fuel rail, and even the main relay but i dont understand because seconds before i took out the motor it was running fine in my other car...im flabergasted or however you spell it....

thanks for you reply man.

oh yeah any idea what that smoke was? cant seem to figure out what would give a burning rubber smell...

The fuel pump would not be working if the main relay was bad. It would still run if the regulator was messed up, and if the fuel filter was completely clogged, you wouldn't be getting fuel to the rail. Check to make sure the plug wired are in the correct order on the distributor end. Also, if you had the distributor out make sure the key isn't 180 degrees off. Did you replace the timing belt before you put the motor in. I assume you do not have a severe enough compression problem to cause a complete no start. I'm thinking timing or firing order. Also, make sure you are getting spark TO the plugs. Where and how did you check for spark?

I didnt touch the distributor since the engine was runnign so it should be fine. I did however crank the pulley where the water pump is trying to take it off but decided not to because i needed a car asap for school. the gears rotated but the belt never came loose or undone.

spark plugs were tested one by one by taking them out plugging them to the wires, grounding them and looking for spark as i turned the key

the key 180 degrees? dont know what your suggesting but it shouldnt matter cause i never took the distr off right?

thats why this is so strange to me because it just doesnt make sense..sigh

ecu ran the same motor when i took it out? i cant see why or how that could have been bad?it gave me some cel codes and i reset it and the same ones cme back out. does that confirm its working status?

Are all your ground wires properly connected? I would check the timing just to be sure. Also, are your distributor wires hooked up? Is this an OBDII B18c?

the distributor is hooked up it is an obd1 distributor with the wires spliced to a obd2 connector.

both the arrows on top the cam gears should point up right? stock gears.

if the ground on the tranny and valve cover are not the only ones then yes. if there is another one other then those then i have no idea where it is...

NO! The arrows on the cam gears should point at eachother. I hope yours aren't pointing up!!! There should be a ground on the thermostat housing which would be integral to running. Also, I could be wrong but I do believe that an OBDI distributor will not work on an OBDII motor for some reason. Not sure about that though?

Okay checked it they are pointing to each other.. musta just been confused.

Oh the thermostat ground is on too. everythings hooked up.

The distributor wont work? delay or something? the spark was coming out fine...maybe the time it sparks is off by just enough ... any place to confirm this?

you turn the key and it tries to turn over right? If you are getting spark and fuel it is compression or possibly timing - adjust distributor - make sure you have the right firing order on your plugs and connections. other than that could be your wiring to distributor maybe.

But firing order an dcompression doesnt change unless ihad messed with the motor right?

could be the distributor and how i wired it (matched up the colors from distributor to plug) the colors were the exact same so i figured it would work and figured the spark ment it was working..

Are you 100% sure that your plug wires are in the correct order on the distributor? Also, your distributor has in internal ignition control module. If that is firing incorrectly...?

Does the car even crank? If so, double and triple check your spark plug wires on the distributor. That is what it sounds like to me. Also, check your fuses. I know there is an IGN fuse under your hood. Check all of em to be safe.

yea the car cranks and the order is 4321 simple enough. keep in mind i havent touched the distributor but its wires. the car was running when in the 92 si.

ill check them on my way home from school. got test in history and math today sucks.. imma do major recheck of all things involved with start up on thur but it would be so sweet if it were just a blown fuse. ill buy some cake and dhl a slice for you haha

Back